Find good stock in different sector

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We have sub forum for companies.

Do we have similar one for different businesses? Say, I m interested in stocks in medical , it will be easier if we have a sub-forum or thread for this sector

Listed below are categroies used in shareinvestor.com, have more categories than the sectors listed in sgx.com:
Categories:
Banking & Finance
Clean Technology
Commodities
Education
Electronics
Food and Beverage
Hard Disk
Hotels
IT
Logistics
Medical and Biotechnology
Oil&Gas
Property and Construction (i prefer this as 2 sectors)
Recycling
Retail
Shipping & Marine
Telecommunication
Texitle
Transport
Water

what's your opion?

Thanks.
jeff

Personally I think this would make the forum too......fragmented.

Hence, I do not really like the idea. Smile

Any other views?
My Value Investing Blog: http://sgmusicwhiz.blogspot.com/
I think it can add some value espcially when looking at a certain industry. It need not make the forum fragmented. E.g. all we need to do is have a category for DBS (under D), UOB (under U) and OCBC (under O) and when you look up Banking and Finance, you get to see all three. Essentially we are still looking at the same content - just that the grouping makes searching easier. Worth considering...
Ideally the company threads are cross-referenced, so that for example if you go to D you can see DBS, and if you go to Finance you will also see the same thread on DBS. The classification by industry is another matter - I'd suggest using GICS for consistency.

But all this depends on the forum's ability to support such cross-referencing. Perhaps the admin(s) can offer some clarity?
(15-04-2011, 12:23 PM)d.o.g. Wrote: Ideally the company threads are cross-referenced, so that for example if you go to D you can see DBS, and if you go to Finance you will also see the same thread on DBS. The classification by industry is another matter - I'd suggest using GICS for consistency.

But all this depends on the forum's ability to support such cross-referencing. Perhaps the admin(s) can offer some clarity?

Yes, it would be useful if there's a way to mirror a thread on different sub forums (cross-referenced).

The forum software does not have this feature yet. I don't have the programming skill to do it. Sorry.

Specuvestor: Asset - Business - Structure.
(15-04-2011, 12:44 PM)cyclone Wrote:
(15-04-2011, 12:23 PM)d.o.g. Wrote: Ideally the company threads are cross-referenced, so that for example if you go to D you can see DBS, and if you go to Finance you will also see the same thread on DBS. The classification by industry is another matter - I'd suggest using GICS for consistency.

Yes, it would be useful if there's a way to mirror a thread on different sub forums (cross-referenced).

The forum software does not have this feature yet. I don't have the programming skill to do it. Sorry.

is it PHP + MySQL? I can help, but it may take long. I haven't touch PHP for quite time.

The forum is using MyBB software. You can download from http://www.mybb.com/downloads . It is using PHP + MySQL. Never mind if it may take long time to implement. Thanks for the help.
Specuvestor: Asset - Business - Structure.
A simpler solution may be to just create a sub-forum for Industry Groups and interested parties can just create respective threads there for any group (rather than pre-create to avoid too many threads with no posting), based on GICS etc. The drawback could be some fragmentation from the individual counters discussion, but could still be worthwhile on the balance. Industry Group discussions that become unpopular just get consigned to history.

Dun think creating cross referencing (with all good intentions) will help as i am not sure how that can work. Somebody has to decide if a particular post/section should be cross referenced. And you may have sections here and there...At the end, it may just lead to more another confusion. As it is, we can already paste links, and that is one means of cross reference readily available.

If it is a permanent cross reference, maybe can just pin a link somewhere. I dun think that's what's wanted though.