Many companies are starting to tap retail investors for equity and bonds

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Having looked at markets since 2003, I can't remember another time when there is this much capital raising in the form of bond issue to retail investors, preference shares to retail investors.

Its pretty interesting because most of the time capitamall would just do a rights issue or placement.

Why all of the sudden you see them placing out bonds to investors, hyfluc doing preference shares.

Is it because these businessmen seem to think that the trend for interest rates will go up from here and that is why they quickly tap the markets to finance first?
Dividend Investing and More @ InvestmentMoats.com
That's part of the equation - greater interest rate tightening in Europe and Asia due to inflation.

Swiss commodities giant Glencore is planning to list on London and Hong Kong. Add that with the recent Hutchitson port trust IPO, and the examples you mentioned, I am speculating 2 scenarios:

1) The companies are bullish, and are building their war chest to fund future M&As.

2) They are beefing up their balance sheets to prepare against near term uncertainties - for eg, US 10 year treasuries getting downgraded with resulting bursting of the US bond bubble....... Today's liquidity from banks can easily dry up like in 2008/2009. Diversifying to alternative sourcing of finance now that market sentiment is still optimistic.

Just google singapore man of leisure
Expansion is cheaper and/or ROI higher than the cost of borrowing.
One thing need to be careful is the rising singapore dollar translating the profit returning back.

Just my Diary
corylogics.blogspot.com/

i believe many are anticipating govt bond yields to increase significantly. hence this action to lock in the low yields
Dividend Investing and More @ InvestmentMoats.com
Drizzt Wrote:Why all of the sudden you see them placing out bonds to investors, hyfluc doing preference shares.

My personal view is that previously the companies just found it easier to borrow from banks. The investment banks also did not want to issue prospectuses etc. But after SIA managed to do an abbreviated prospectus it became a lot more attractive to issue bonds. The companies have realized they can screw the retail investors, offering just 2-3% in coupons, instead of paying the banks 4-6%. The retail investors earn more than the fixed deposit rate, the companies pay less than the normal commercial rate, and the investment banks earn fees for arranging the deal. Win-win-win. Or so the retail investors believe.

In the case of Hyflux they decided to do a callable perpetual which means they will never have to pay back the money, but they can choose to do so if they want to. These are extremely advantageous terms for Hyflux and horrible terms for investors, very similar to CDL's NCCPS which are also perpetual and convertible only at CDL's option.
The key things abt HYFLUX.

They are perpetual , callable , cumulative.

1) Cumulative - If they don't pay the dividends , it would accumulate until the next payment. Worst case scenario, they never pay dividends at all, which is possible, but so far they have been paying their dividends, so its just a risk you have to take like when buying shares.

2) Perpetual - No end date if they decide not to redeem as stated for 2018, and if they decide not to redeem, the interest rate goes up to 8%.

3) Callable - At their own discretion, they can choose to call it off whenever they like.

To someone who is not able to achieve 6% this seems attractive, but then have to take note if the PF might be illiquid and risk of not been able to sell if there is a need too.

The terms are beneficial to the company as it helps protect their interests, and thus the higher interest rate.

In the end, its a calculation of pros and cons.
Hyflux can only call the pref share off on or after 2018. otherwise, there is nothing good for investors.

although it is stated as perpetual, I don't think hyflux will let it run for ever unless the borrow cost will never be low before hyflux bankrupts.

and now definitely is not such bad time that companies need to beg investors for money, why would companies issue security not benefitting themselves the most.
Hi guys,

If the discussion is on Hyflux's CPS, would appreciate if it was posted on Hyflux's thread. This thread is more for general discussion on companies tapping retail investors for funds.

Thanks! Big Grin
My Value Investing Blog: http://sgmusicwhiz.blogspot.com/
(15-04-2011, 06:08 AM)d.o.g. Wrote: ...Win-win-win...

Why will this be consider a win for the bank. Are they getting better profits compared to lending out loans ?

Just my Diary
corylogics.blogspot.com/

(15-04-2011, 06:08 AM)d.o.g. Wrote: The companies have realized they can screw the retail investors, offering just 2-3% in coupons, instead of paying the banks 4-6%.

just got annual report for aspial. it's paying 2-3% for bank loans.

To be simple is the best thing in the world; to be modest is the next best thing. I am not sure about being quiet.- G.K. Chesterton

Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.- Dandemis

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.- Bertrand Russell