Artificial Intelligence and Investing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I came across this long and interesting read on the potential of learning-capable AI in achieving superior investment returns. What startled me was the performance of the AI, considering it is still in its nascent stage. Should it become more developed in a few years time, will there be more competition for us?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/...ting-on-ai

The Massive Hedge Fun Betting on AI
Initially wary of the technology, Man Group was soon persuaded by the returns from algorithm-centric funds.

Over time, Granger built up the firm’s confidence in the technology. By 2015 artificial intelligence was contributing roughly half the profits in one of Man’s biggest funds, the AHL Dimension Programme that now manages $5.1 billion, even though AI had control over only a small proportion of overall assets. Elsewhere in the company—and in the industry as a whole—AI technology is being used to find the speediest way to execute trades, to make bets on market momentum, and to scan press releases and financial reports for keywords that could signal that a stock will rise or fall. Even Man’s very human discretionary division, where business is centered on experienced asset managers, is exploring AI techniques.

Those big clients Ellis was initially worried about clearly like what they’re seeing and have rushed to join Man’s algorithm-centric funds. All told, four Man funds collectively managing $12.3 billion are incorporating AI. Assets under management at Man have surged about 77 percent since the beginning of 2014. AHL Dimension fund assets have more than quintupled since then. 

The firm has gone from viewing AI with skepticism to making it a cornerstone strategy. Among the company’s biggest expenditures now is computer equipment—along with hiring engineers to keep up with the technological change and the ensuing growth. AI is now not only out of the nuclear bunker but on a pedestal. “It went from a total isolation to ‘OK, you are allowed to sit at dinner with the rest of us, but don’t talk’ to the point where it’s become a part of the family,” Ellis says.

(28-09-2017, 07:47 PM)karlmarx Wrote: I came across this long and interesting read on the potential of learning-capable AI in achieving superior investment returns. What startled me was the performance of the AI, considering it is still in its nascent stage. Should it become more developed in a few years time, will there be more competition for us?

Irregardless of whether AI takes off or not, the odds are always against the OPMI and competition is relentless (insiders, PHDs, CFDs, professional full time investors and the list continues...)

This kind of "model-based quant investing" always reminds me of LTCM and its demise. AI supposed to be 1-level up by its ability to "self learn" (in layman data science terms, i guess it is re-fitting the model with newer data?) but it will always be interesting to see whether such talk/performance survives the next bear market.
no AI for me, unless it's Alien's Intelligence! Big Grin
1) Try NOT to LOSE money!
2) Do NOT SELL in BEAR, BUY-BUY-BUY! invest in managements/companies that does the same!
3) CASH in hand is KING in BEAR! 
4) In BULL, SELL-SELL-SELL! 
Indeed, we shall see...Hopefully AI can't learn as well as they claim to do so.

But if one day computers learn how to look for value when investing...
"AI technology is being used to find the speediest way to execute trades, to make bets on market momentum, and to scan press releases and financial reports for keywords that could signal that a stock will rise or fall"

seems being used to trade rather than to invest.

I think AI can be used to do quantitative analysis of companies financials at very fast speed, and immediately recommend which are the quality companies to invest. Perhaps also analyse how the financials correlate with future price performance.
For buddies interested in A.I., the course link : https://www.elementsofai.com/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Finland is making its online AI crash course free to the world
Dec 18, 2019, 8:03am EST

Last year, Finland launched a free online crash course in artificial intelligence with the aim of educating its citizens about the new technology. Now, as a Christmas present to the world, the European nation is making the six week program available for anyone to take.......

https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/18/2102...e-elements
"Let all that you do be done in love." 1 Corinthians 16:14