Why Stupid People Can't Make These Mistakes In Investing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Stupid People make these mistakes like the Smart people?

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-sma...2016-11-04

Enjoy why you are too smart?
WB:-

1) Rule # 1, do not lose money.
2) Rule # 2, refer to # 1.
3) Not until you can manage your emotions, you can manage your money.

Truism of Investments.
A) Buying a security is buying RISK not Return
B) You can control RISK (to a certain level, hopefully only.) But definitely not the outcome of the Return.

NB:-
My signature is meant for psychoing myself. No offence to anyone. i am trying not to lose money unnecessary anymore.
I'm new into value investment. I'm trying to learn to analyse the fundamental and the value for the counters that's worth getting and hold for long term gains. I am trying to minimize the risk of losing too much that I can afford, not that I lost the money by paper, but more on money being locked in and not able to use it for better counters per se.

sorry for my newbie comments as I'm still learning. what I said might not make sense too.
(13-12-2016, 01:09 PM)jenson Wrote: I'm new into value investment. I'm trying to learn to analyse the fundamental and the value for the counters that's worth getting and hold for long term gains. I am trying to minimize the risk of losing too much that I can afford, not that I lost the money by paper, but more on money being locked in and not able to use it for better counters per se.

sorry for my newbie comments as I'm still learning. what I said might not make sense too.

If you are really a newbie, i suggest you read as much as possible and continue reading and adopt /adapt veteran investors success and failures.

You have to find what works for you and not him or her or me.

Truism of Investments.
B) You can control RISK (to a certain level, hopefully only.) But definitely not the outcome of the Return.

My signature is meant for psychoing myself. No offence to anyone. i am trying not to lose money unnecessary anymore.
(13-12-2016, 01:09 PM)jenson Wrote: I'm new into value investment. I'm trying to learn to analyse the fundamental and the value for the counters that's worth getting and hold for long term gains. I am trying to minimize the risk of losing too much that I can afford, not that I lost the money by paper, but more on money being locked in and not able to use it for better counters per se.

Hi jenson,
I have to frankly say that "you don't make sense", at least to me. On 1 hand, you seem to be talking about losing money (whether paper/realized loss) but on the other hand, u seem to be talking about opportunity costs. These are different sides of the same coin, the same coin but still different sides.

There are some accelerated learning courses available: https://www.sgxacademy.com/ if you have money to spare, especially if time to learn is a huge opportunity cost for you and you have a relatively big capital to start with. In that case, it might be wiser to spend some money on pay-courses to learn the fundamentals (learn the fundamentals, and not some blogger/self acclaimed investors' spoon feeding courses)
thanks for the great feedbacks. I'm currently learning from Intelligent Investor as well as other sources like Investopedia..and some brokerages organized courses (to happen in Jan 2017). Attended a half day fundamental analysis course with Maybank Kim Eng 2 - 3 months back

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
(20-12-2016, 12:00 PM)jenson Wrote: thanks for the great feedbacks. I'm currently learning from Intelligent Investor as well as other sources like Investopedia..and some brokerages organized courses (to happen in Jan 2017). Attended a half day fundamental analysis course with Maybank Kim Eng 2 - 3 months back

hi jenson, you sound like you are in good hands. Have fun!
(20-12-2016, 03:59 PM)weijian Wrote:
(20-12-2016, 12:00 PM)jenson Wrote: thanks for the great feedbacks. I'm currently learning from Intelligent Investor as well as other sources like Investopedia..and some brokerages organized courses (to happen in Jan 2017). Attended a half day fundamental analysis course with Maybank Kim Eng 2 - 3 months back

hi jenson, you sound like you are in good hands. Have fun!
hmm but it seems like I'm being overwhelmed by information and stuff I need to learn before I can really get serious into investment, not yet talking about financial freedom.

Sometimes patience is virtue.

i dilly dally about stock market investments until at the age of 40.
(Only NTC 2 ma).

i found out some people started even later - in 40s to 50s.

Of course starting much earlier has it's advantages.

But also some disadvantages.

Truism of Investments.

Do you mean the book "The Intelligent Investor"?

It's commonly cited like it's the bible of investing, but tbh, I don't think it's very appropriate for you as a beginner.
I rem reading it when i started cos well, that's what every supposed pro says we've to read, but it was way too complex and dry for a beginner.
On top of that, the bulk of it is only applicable to global or the US markets, not so much for SG companies.
It was very dry and I didnt understand the bulk of it.
It was only a couple of years later when I re read it for the 2nd and 3rd time before I understood many parts of it.
It could've killed my enthusiasm as a beginner.

I think as a beginner, better to go for something more palatable first.
at least some ideas and guidelines were found in that book. I take it slowly as I don't finish the book like within 1 week. I reading and digesting it slowly as I move along.

yeah, I'm attending the beginner investors seminars that's provided by the brokerage firms Like Kim Eng so far. and I must say that it's helpful as it provides some examples with those common ratios to look at when picking the right counter for yourself. I think it open up the Pandora box of stock market to every beginner investor. be it good or bad. we need to have the discipline and patience to overcome and mental/psychological and the emotional side of each and every one of us. some guidelines I found it very useful and will try to steer you're of away from speculating or invest by price movements.

not sure how would I go along this investment journey but it does looks fun and fascinating to learn a lot yet what you need to do is just buy and/or sell at the comfortable price that's right for yourself and suits your risk appetite and it has potential to grow and/over undervalue, etc and etc.

It's interesting how one can go from pure value investment to mixing with some basic TA to aide the investment strategy in building up one's portfolio.

But I see it as a learning journey that might be worth sharing with others if it come to fruition and it can help the rest who's intereted in value investments and etc. It's a learning journey that never ends and always loaded with knowledge and information for one to pick up along the way.

ah...I digress too much. my apologies on that. But I really hope to learn from all the seniors here with their valuable experiences in the lifelong journey of investments Smile