See what global shipping in a year looks like. This will blow your mind

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
look like ants.

Singapore / malacca / sunda straits are definitely hubs very busy, can zoom in take a closer look.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/this-ma...-emissions
Very interesting interactive map, thanks for sharing it.

There is why the need for greener ships (fuel-efficient), which is the trend nowadays
“夏则资皮,冬则资纱,旱则资船,水则资车” - 范蠡
(28-04-2016, 03:46 PM)CityFarmer Wrote: Very interesting interactive map, thanks for sharing it.

There is why the need for greener ships (fuel-efficient), which is the trend nowadays

Fuel efficient yes but to go green or wean off bunker fuel no way lah. Some of the geophysicist say there's about 3 trillion barrels of oil in the world we already used up about half of it since that time. Oil well production tends to go into decline after about 50%

look at these ships just to build a new fleet to replace all these ships to go back to using coal and steam like the old days how much new steel needs to be mined and where that energy comes from? oil? coal? coal we talking pollution. So means oil.

And not just the ships themselves but the factories that build ships may need to be re-tooled somebody needs to build these tools so again raw material needs to be mined energy expended from where the energy comes to build this from? 

Then after that the ships need to run on "Green energy" means either Electric or LNG? So somebody before that needs to invent and invest otherwise I dunno how cargo ships can become electric to go long distance.

Just for the sake of discussion if you say electric or LNG think about what is required to be built and installed in the place of what is available currently to replace bunker refuelling for ships because otherwise that fuel is going to be very expensive if the infrastructure to deliver it is not widely available.

And this is only just for ships what about green cars or electric cars trains planes how much total energy you need to spend to mine the raw material to build tools for retooling machinery?

That's why I don't believe in the green movement anymore. There's nothing that can replace oil we already past that point of no return, if we went Green now it will be an ecological disaster waiting to happen.  Big Grin
Side track if they built the kra canal, it will affect us very badly. just imagine a dotted line of ships going thru thailand
Kra canal had been talked about as far back to my primary school days as i can remember

"This time is different" mainly because the biggest beneficiary, China, has money to burn and dont really care about environmental impact nor thai politics
Before you speak, listen. Before you write, think. Before you spend, earn. Before you invest, investigate. Before you criticize, wait. Before you pray, forgive. Before you quit, try. Before you retire, save. Before you die, give. –William A. Ward

Think Asset-Business-Structure (ABS)
(28-04-2016, 10:47 PM)specuvestor Wrote: Kra canal had been talked about as far back to my primary school days as i can remember

"This time is different" mainly because the biggest beneficiary, China, has money to burn and dont really care about environmental impact nor thai politics

Yes i agreed, China is fuel by lack of domestic growth and is now spanning out globally to establish "Feed-Stations", to channel returns back to mainland.
Hoarding up lands, funding railways, pipelines etc.

sure, geographical politics applies, but hey! this is free china money, so why not take it first and start building something...10/20/30/50/100 yrs later, eventually it will happen! Tongue

Just look out across Tuas Causeway to JB,

http://www.forestcitycgpv.com/en/index.a...aAodQVkP2w

China free money! JB Sultan take first, talk later!! 

Tongue
1) Try NOT to LOSE money!
2) Do NOT SELL in BEAR, BUY-BUY-BUY! invest in managements/companies that does the same!
3) CASH in hand is KING in BEAR! 
4) In BULL, SELL-SELL-SELL! 
(28-04-2016, 07:25 PM)sgd Wrote: Side track if they built the kra canal, it will affect us very badly. just imagine a dotted line of ships going thru thailand

Artic Shipping routes too! Big Grin

http://atimes.com/2016/03/russia-eyes-ne...h-china-2/

saves time and money! Tongue
1) Try NOT to LOSE money!
2) Do NOT SELL in BEAR, BUY-BUY-BUY! invest in managements/companies that does the same!
3) CASH in hand is KING in BEAR! 
4) In BULL, SELL-SELL-SELL! 
(29-04-2016, 12:30 AM)brattzz Wrote:
(28-04-2016, 10:47 PM)specuvestor Wrote: Kra canal had been talked about as far back to my primary school days as i can remember

Yes i agreed, China is fuel by lack of domestic growth and is now spanning out globally to establish "Feed-Stations", to channel returns back to mainland.
Hoarding up lands, funding railways, pipelines etc.

sure, geographical politics applies, but hey! this is free china money, so why not take it first and start building something...10/20/30/50/100 yrs later, eventually it will happen! Tongue

Just look out across Tuas Causeway to JB,

http://www.forestcitycgpv.com/en/index.a...aAodQVkP2w

China free money! JB Sultan take first, talk later!! 

Tongue

tax havens is really the idea behind building a few small islands in the causeway to compete with us.

but actually forestcity is very good for us a godsend really. why? Go back to a few years ago Mahathir's original plan and the real reason to raise the crooked bridge was to allow cargo ships to connect between the ports of Tg Pelepas and Pasir Gudang thereby skirting PSA altogether. So now with more islands bridges built within the causeway strait there's no chance in hell for that to ever happen anymore. 

And the best thing is we didn't even prime this project so later they cannot turn around and blame us.
The impact of Kra canal(1200 nautical miles lesser) is so much lesser than panama(7600 nm ??) and suez(6400 nm??).

Panama and suez is able to charge an arm and a leg (around USD 300k??) for the toll to save weeks of travel.

Assuming that kra canal charges five times lesser which is rather optimistic since the fixed cost is the same for all, the cost will be around USD60k.
The saving is not that great and it will take a long time to get back the invested capital.
If they ever build the kra canal we will be really screwed.

I used to think something like this will take 10-20 years to build or we not be around by that time. 

Back in the 70's there was a plan to do this cut thru the narrowest part which is only 27 miles going thru the mountains. Using TNT explosives would have taken 10 years, they planned a controversal method to plant a series of small thermonuclear devices into the ground and blow a path thru which would take only 5 years. 

Somehow it never got off the ground everybody involved in thailand in past or present that tried to do this either got removed or overthrown or no longer around example people like PM Thaksin reportedly tried to do some feasibility study on the project. PM Samak involved from beginning in the 70's that tried to revive it again when he became Prime minister.

But now the problem is china on the rise they have the money the will and importantly the technology to carry this out. They also have new silk route vision. Is a kra canal in their vision?