New member with a Question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi all I've been looking for a new Value investing forum, but not sure I'm in the right place. I am a US-based investor interested in US exchanges. Is this forum just for Asian/Singapore stocks? If so does ValueBuddies.com have a US forum?

When I googled 'Value Investing forum' this was first site that came up, so congrats on getting noticed by Google.

I may still be able to contribute to the board. Buffet/Graham investing is a passion of mine. I have a website where I record my investing and other thoughts at www.healthywealthywiseproject.com. You guys might like my page called 'Dave's Complete Guide to Value Investing'. Anyway I'm not here to promote my site I'm looking for a community of value investors.

Many happy returns!
(06-02-2011, 03:44 AM)HWWProject Wrote: Hi all I've been looking for a new Value investing forum, but not sure I'm in the right place. I am a US-based investor interested in US exchanges. Is this forum just for Asian/Singapore stocks? If so does ValueBuddies.com have a US forum?

When I googled 'Value Investing forum' this was first site that came up, so congrats on getting noticed by Google.

I may still be able to contribute to the board. Buffet/Graham investing is a passion of mine. I have a website where I record my investing and other thoughts at www.healthywealthywiseproject.com. You guys might like my page called 'Dave's Complete Guide to Value Investing'. Anyway I'm not here to promote my site I'm looking for a community of value investors.

Many happy returns!

Hi!

Welcome to Value Buddies. We don't have a US forum per se but it would be completely feasible that we have a separate thread on US companies as was done for HK listed equities.

However, you may notice that, as with the HK stocks, there isn't much interest there because most forummers are Singaporean-based so the focus tends to be a little more on Singapore listed equities.

Having said that, I, and I believe all forummers, welcome you to share with us your thoughts on US-listed equities. Hopefully, that will lead to more US-based investors contributing on this site as well.
Eh moderators? Would it be quite easy to start a section for US listings? especially if HWWProject can get more like-minded investors to post and share. I would be interested to read their thoughts rather than have to go into promoted blogs. Angel
I have always an interest in US equities and its ADRs which allow me to gain an ownership in other countries' companies as well.
Some ppl might be put off by the custodian fees or the double whammy currency exchange conversion rate but if one is really practising investment, there is no reason why not actually.

Cheers.

Done. Open an U.S listed companies sub-forum. Cheers.
Specuvestor: Asset - Business - Structure.
(06-02-2011, 01:07 PM)cyclone Wrote: Done. Open an U.S listed companies sub-forum. Cheers.

Our admin very fast! Chop chop! Thanks a lot, Cyke!
(06-02-2011, 12:37 PM)arthur Wrote: I have always an interest in US equities and its ADRs which allow me to gain an ownership in other countries' companies as well.
Some ppl might be put off by the custodian fees or the double whammy currency exchange conversion rate but if one is really practising investment, there is no reason why not actually.

Cheers.

As far as I know, DBS Vickers doesn't charge a custodian fee for US-listed equities unlike the $2 per counter every month for some of the other brokerages.

Any other alternatives available?

Wow! many thanks to each of you! I look forward to contributing where I can. I will see if my broker allows me to invest directly in Hong Kong / Singapore stocks too, perhaps thru ADR's. It is a small world after all!

Many happy returns!

HWWProject
(06-02-2011, 09:16 PM)kazukirai Wrote:
(06-02-2011, 12:37 PM)arthur Wrote: I have always an interest in US equities and its ADRs which allow me to gain an ownership in other countries' companies as well.

Cheers.

As far as I know, DBS Vickers doesn't charge a custodian fee for US-listed equities unlike the $2 per counter every month for some of the other brokerages.

Their exchange rate is horrid (though there are ways out of this). They gotta make the money back somehow.
(08-02-2011, 04:12 AM)vader1671 Wrote:
(06-02-2011, 09:16 PM)kazukirai Wrote: As far as I know, DBS Vickers doesn't charge a custodian fee for US-listed equities unlike the $2 per counter every month for some of the other brokerages.

Their exchange rate is horrid (though there are ways out of this). They gotta make the money back somehow.

Hi Vader,

I never noticed the FX rate! Confused But thing is, I'm looking at my DBS Vickers a/c now and it says the exchange rate is SGD/USD is 1.2746. Taking a quick glance at XE.com, the quoted SGD/USD rate there is 1.2739 which means that DBS Vickers is actually giving me a fair rate.

Am I making comparisons from the right place? Do you mind sharing your way to get about the horrid FX rate?

Other comments welcome too.