How many Earths do we need?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many Earths do we need?

By Charlotte McDonald
BBC News
16 June 2015

It has been suggested that if everyone on the planet consumed as much as the average US citizen, four Earths would be needed to sustain them. But where does this claim originate, and how is it calculated?

The world's seven billion people consume varying amounts of the planet's resources. Compare the lifestyle of a subsistence farmer with that of a wealthy city-dweller in a developed country. More land is required to grow the city dweller's food, more materials are used to build the city dweller's home and workplace, more energy is required for transport, heating and cooling.................................

...................However, the US does not consume the most on this measure. It is in fact ranked fifth among countries with a population of one million or more. Kuwait comes top with 8.9 global hectares (5.1 Earths), followed by Australia (4.8 Earths), the United Arab Emirates (4.7 Earths) and Qatar (4.0 Earths). The others in the top 10 are Canada, Sweden, Bahrain, Trinidad and Tobago, and Singapore........................

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-33133712
Research, research and research - Please do your own due diligence (DYODD) before you invest - Any reliance on my analysis is SOLELY at your own risk.
The stark reality is that it is not that there are not enough food to go around...
Before you speak, listen. Before you write, think. Before you spend, earn. Before you invest, investigate. Before you criticize, wait. Before you pray, forgive. Before you quit, try. Before you retire, save. Before you die, give. –William A. Ward

Think Asset-Business-Structure (ABS)
(17-06-2015, 10:34 AM)Boon Wrote: How many Earths do we need?
The others in the top 10 are Canada, Sweden, Bahrain, Trinidad and Tobago, and Singapore........................

Boon san

I'm not surprised by the statistics due to the nature of Singapore's economy. E.g. (Partly) Due to Singapore's position as a top bunker fuel port, our per capita consumption of oil is approximately 4 times that of the US.
I wouldn't underestimate mankind's ability to innovate. Just look at today's energy boom, and compare it to the past predictions of doom and gloom (peak oil theory).
http://theasiareport.com - Reflections From Finding Value In Asia
(18-06-2015, 06:53 AM)theasiareport Wrote: I wouldn't underestimate mankind's ability to innovate. Just look at today's energy boom, and compare it to the past predictions of doom and gloom (peak oil theory).

I'm more for do not underestimate mankind's inability to predict the correct things! Wink
(18-06-2015, 06:53 AM)theasiareport Wrote: Just look at today's energy boom.

I think an energy bust would be a more appropriate description. AFAIK, no shale oil company is able to be cashflow positive at $60 oil while maintaining their production level (or I could be ignorant and would be happy to be proven wrong). Nevertheless, I'm mightily impressed by their (shale oil companies) ability to sell snake oil and continue to draw financing from banks and other third parties.