Investment for a living

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hi,
i am thinking of going to do investment fulltime for a living.
is it realistic to expect to be abt to generate 15% /yr?
i most probably will be using sm leverage like CFD to maximize gains
anybody can share w me their experience?

thanks in advance
15% returns - why 15%

Do you have any dependents (wife, kids and parents) to feed?

Why u even want to invest full time?
"... but quitting while you're ahead is not the same as quitting." - Quote from the movie American Gangster
but cheaper to work than to invest unless you have a lot of money. 15% return maybe there is but I see could be high risk there are no guarantees.

I look at 3% conservative risk free capital protection because that's the norm what people generally get. If I want to earn 10k a month in my retirement that's 120k a year so outlay is 4million.

I think to get a job pay 10k a month isn't hard these days and quite common isn't it even more no risk than risk free and cheaper? Big Grin make the money to earn 3% then go work for 10k a month thats 6%
getting a job pay of 10k a month isn't hard these days???? wow
Sgd is probably in a good industry. But sgd that's assuming you never fall sick and your employer will always need you. Can't take things for granted these days.
Using Tapatalk
We are of course talking about mid - senior pmet positions, if you have the skills contacts track record that's hard to replicate why not? If you work for many years and manage to save so much and thinking to invest for a living then I suppose you are already high flyer earning quite a fair bit. Btw a lot of FT in spore are getting this kind of pay means there are actually such jobs around. If there are no such jobs around you think so many FT want to waste time come here? Tongue
Most of the time it's for tax reasons. Be it corporate or individual. Btw many ft get retrenched in sg too. If u know the tax implication for loss of office [emoji14]
Using Tapatalk
Agree with sgd that there are plenty of jobs out there paying 10k and more but disagree that finding and landing such a job isn't hard these days.

Anyway, I like this topic as I have been pondering over something similar recently albeit slightly differently. I currently work in a job earning a decent income with extremely good work life balance and plenty of time to conduct my own equity research and monitor the market. However, I am contemplating changing jobs with a higher salary of around 10-20% where job prospects are much brighter but the trade off is I lose my work life balance and probably won't have the time for my own research and what not.

On the one hand, I feel somewhat dejected that my former peers are earning mostly more than me but on the other hand, I am hoping to make up for that shortfall with the time I spend on personal investments. What would most people do in my shoes?
I will reduce my expenses. Not only you reduce quality time when you switch to a higher pay but more stressful job but you also trade off your health. I always believe in balancing concept. Anyway happiness bought using money is normally short term because one will be greedy for more.
Using Tapatalk
I would never trade work-life balance for higher pay. No amount of money can replace time lost.