[split] What is a realistic return on value investing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For what it's worth, my latest portfolio performance is as attached.

Past reports can also be found at my blog http://moneyandco.weebly.com
(27-01-2015, 07:21 PM)moneyandco Wrote: For what it's worth, my latest portfolio performance is as attached.

Very comprehensive report. Are you doing it professionally, in other words, managing OPM?

At a glance, the return is ~14% since 2006, and have gone through a cycle. An impressive return indeed.

Have you broadly diversified?
“夏则资皮,冬则资纱,旱则资船,水则资车” - 范蠡
waos! Big Grin nice write-up indeed! Big Grin

Can use this as a standard template for one's tracking! Big Grin
1) Try NOT to LOSE money!
2) Do NOT SELL in BEAR, BUY-BUY-BUY! invest in managements/companies that does the same!
3) CASH in hand is KING in BEAR! 
4) In BULL, SELL-SELL-SELL! 
(27-01-2015, 09:32 PM)CityFarmer Wrote:
(27-01-2015, 07:21 PM)moneyandco Wrote: For what it's worth, my latest portfolio performance is as attached.

Very comprehensive report. Are you doing it professionally, in other words, managing OPM?

At a glance, the return is ~14% since 2006, and have gone through a cycle. An impressive return indeed.

In my earlier years though I was not a fund manager, through my work I was heavily involved in investment holding performance tracking and management. The report you are seeing is generated using a well established methodology by professional asset management firms, so it looks a little different from what you might usually find calculated from Excel XIRR function.

This is currently my personal portfolio although I do aspire to turn this into a professional fund management business should the unlikely opportunity arise.

The underlying philosophy of the portfolio is to be as broadly diversified as possible using my proprietary risk management model. You can see glimpses of the diversification in that its recent volatility is approaching that of a hedge fund index and below that of most index funds.

I did a quick write up some time agon of the underlying thinking which you can find uploaded on my blog as well http://moneyandco.weebly.com/uploads/2/1...ciples.pdf
(27-01-2015, 11:29 PM)moneyandco Wrote:
(27-01-2015, 09:32 PM)CityFarmer Wrote:

In my earlier years though I was not a fund manager, through my work I was heavily involved in investment holding performance tracking and management. The report you are seeing is generated using a well established methodology by professional asset management firms, so it looks a little different from what you might usually find calculated from Excel XIRR function.

This is currently my personal portfolio although I do aspire to turn this into a professional fund management business should the unlikely opportunity arise.

The underlying philosophy of the portfolio is to be as broadly diversified as possible using my proprietary risk management model. You can see glimpses of the diversification in that its recent volatility is approaching that of a hedge fund index and below that of most index funds.

I did a quick write up some time agon of the underlying thinking which you can find uploaded on my blog as well http://moneyandco.weebly.com/uploads/2/1...ciples.pdf

Thanks for the sharing. I will take a look at the doc.

I have moved to NAV method for performance tracking, after started managing a family fund few years ago. My approach is focus (~10 stocks in portfolio), and a keen follower of Peter Lynch style, albeit not exactly the same. I am not financially trained.

Nice to have a like-minded buddy, and hope to learn more from you.
Will be great to see some stock discussion. Smile
"Criticism is the fertilizer of learning." - Sir John Templeton
I'm probably the only one clueless but what is T10 ratio and A12+D0?
Before you speak, listen. Before you write, think. Before you spend, earn. Before you invest, investigate. Before you criticize, wait. Before you pray, forgive. Before you quit, try. Before you retire, save. Before you die, give. –William A. Ward

Think Asset-Business-Structure (ABS)
(28-01-2015, 11:06 PM)specuvestor Wrote: I'm probably the only one clueless but what is T10 ratio and A12+D0?

You are probably the only one "dare" to ask. I am very sure more are clueless on that, including me. Big Grin

Who are the audience of the report? If it is for general blog reader, some of the info might be beyond them.

I like the distribution chart of the monthly return, personally. It give quite a bit of info on the performance.
Can't help but be amused by your random investment objective in each letter.
"Criticism is the fertilizer of learning." - Sir John Templeton
(28-01-2015, 11:06 PM)specuvestor Wrote: I'm probably the only one clueless but what is T10 ratio and A12+D0?

T10 is basically the top 10 contributors / bottom 10 contributors (risk adjusted basis, not by asset value) in the portfolio. The higher the ratio, the more unevenly spreaded between different counters it is. I intend to maintain it within 1.5 - 2, anything more than that indicates over exposure on a selected group.

A12+D0 means the percentages are calculated based on full year actuals. A6+D6 means calculated based on half year actual and risk adjusted forecast another half year ahead.