Lumiere Capital bets on HKlisted media, financial stocks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am also very excited and doing an active capital recycling. Due to my poor skill, I have missed quite a lot of opportunities already, and trying to catch-up...

How about you? Big Grin

SINGAPORE: Value-focused fund manager Victor Khoo, co-founder of local boutique fund management firm Lumiere Capital, feels like a kid in a candy store when ever stock markets in Asia take a big tumble.

Those periodic but fleeting market downturns often offer him the opportunity to pick up high-quality small- and mid-cap regional stocks at cheap valuations.

Khoo couldn’t help feeling excited when Asian equities — dragged down by the slump in US and European stocks — took a big correction between late September and mid-October, when market risk aversion arose on the back of the slower economic growth outlook for the US and China as well as deflation fears in Europe.

That downturn couldn’t have come at a better time, says Khoo, who was patiently waiting to deploy the high level of cash held by his fund, the Lumiere Asia Value Fund, which he co-manages with business partner and co-founder Wong Yu-Liang.

The fund is sold to accredited investors in Singapore with an income of $300,000 over the past 12 months, or a net worth of at least $2 million.
http://www.theedgemarkets.com/sg/article...ial-stocks
“夏则资皮,冬则资纱,旱则资船,水则资车” - 范蠡
If lumiere is heavily in hk shares, hkd appreciation will add 5%+ to returns in Sgd terms.

For me, will do spring cleaning periodically. Clear the low conviction ones to redeploy into the high conviction ones. Along the way, will accumulate some new stocks. And the cycle repeats. My top 3 stocks made up >80% of portfolio. Super concentrated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalki
"... but quitting while you're ahead is not the same as quitting." - Quote from the movie American Gangster
(09-12-2014, 09:33 AM)CityFarmer Wrote: I am also very excited and doing an active capital recycling. Due to my poor skill, I have missed quite a lot of opportunities already, and trying to catch-up...

How about you? Big Grin

SINGAPORE: Value-focused fund manager Victor Khoo, co-founder of local boutique fund management firm Lumiere Capital, feels like a kid in a candy store when ever stock markets in Asia take a big tumble.

Those periodic but fleeting market downturns often offer him the opportunity to pick up high-quality small- and mid-cap regional stocks at cheap valuations.

Khoo couldn’t help feeling excited when Asian equities — dragged down by the slump in US and European stocks — took a big correction between late September and mid-October, when market risk aversion arose on the back of the slower economic growth outlook for the US and China as well as deflation fears in Europe.

That downturn couldn’t have come at a better time, says Khoo, who was patiently waiting to deploy the high level of cash held by his fund, the Lumiere Asia Value Fund, which he co-manages with business partner and co-founder Wong Yu-Liang.

The fund is sold to accredited investors in Singapore with an income of $300,000 over the past 12 months, or a net worth of at least $2 million.
http://www.theedgemarkets.com/sg/article...ial-stocks

I wouldn't really use the word 'big' on the correction (on hindsight) that occurred slightly 1-2months ago. Again, this is coming from a person who has last bought something 2-3years ago during the tumoil causing by the US fiscal situation (and before Helicopter launched QE infinity)...Boy, have i missed so much opportunities too!
(09-12-2014, 09:46 AM)opmi Wrote: If lumiere is heavily in hk shares, hkd appreciation will add 5%+ to returns in Sgd terms.

For me, will do spring cleaning periodically. Clear the low conviction ones to redeploy into the high conviction ones. Along the way, will accumulate some new stocks. And the cycle repeats. My top 3 stocks made up >80% of portfolio. Super concentrated.

Yes, switching goods with betters. It takes a lot of push to do so.

3 stocks with 80%? You must be very confident on the three...
“夏则资皮,冬则资纱,旱则资船,水则资车” - 范蠡
(09-12-2014, 09:46 AM)opmi Wrote: If lumiere is heavily in hk shares, hkd appreciation will add 5%+ to returns in Sgd terms.

More than 90% of my portfolio was made up of HK stocks (mostly H shares) and the strengthening HKD had indeed boosted my portfolio asset value by 5-6% in the past 2 qtrs. Recently cashed out of the pharma sector in Nov, which was just in time as the sector had corrected 20% since. Looks like there had been sector rotation out of the pharma and environmental sector since late Nov, into the banking, insurance and securities sector. I was pretty lucky to buy into the insurance sector before the 20% run up.

There are several good stocks that had been sold down in the past few weeks. Lots of opportunities in the HK markets. HKD should continue to strengthen vs the SGD as the US economy continue to show signs of recovery, which is icing to the HK stocks portfolio.