The Edge Magazine Pricing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi,

Wondering if fellow forumers have the same sentiments.
Here is my issue with The Edge Singapore magazine.
I'm a subscriber of The Edge Singapore magazine, the electronic version.

My renewal is coming up. The digital version is S$124 and print version is S$118. Initially, I didnt think much about it but then it occurred to me that the digital version is more expensive than print.

To me it does not make sense. That is the whole point of digital version. It should and must be cheaper than print. The online newspaper and magazines i'm aware of will sell the digital version cheaper than print.

what do you think?
(12-05-2014, 06:59 AM)changwk Wrote: Hi,

My renewal is coming up. The digital version is S$124 and print version is S$118. Initially, I didnt think much about it but then it occurred to me that the digital version is more expensive than print.

To me it does not make sense. That is the whole point of digital version. It should and must be cheaper than print. The online newspaper and magazines i'm aware of will sell the digital version cheaper than print.

what do you think?
I'm also frustrated that they gave me a dining voucher worth $50 that has no use for me. I don't go to those atas restaurant. I suggest they give me a discount if they want my business. It's either $118 with a small discount or nothing I told then haha.

😇天堂与地狱😈就在当下
Using Tapatalk
(12-05-2014, 08:49 AM)hurricane Wrote:
(12-05-2014, 06:59 AM)changwk Wrote: Hi,

what do you think?

If I'm not wrong, they used to charge one price for print, tablet and digital as a bundle while providing several different options such as digital only, print only etc and the pricing was almost the same even if one chose one single version only.

This year they have done away with bundle version. Well, as I'm choosing the print version, glad that I'm paying less.
Guess you've got to bring the matter up with them and see what's the rationale for the discrepancy in the pricing.
I think a common assumption is that pricing is based on cost. So cost of print version = cost of digital version + paper and postage costs.

However, the market doesnt always work like that. Pricing is also based on supply and demand. So one explanation why digital price > print price is because the digital version is wildly more popular than the print version.

Side note: I remember the good old days when DBS used to have a promo for their customers to subscribe to one year of the Edge at $38 (per issue price was $3 then)! This was about 7-8 years ago.
I think u incorrectly apply classical demand/ supply with digital content

Incremental cost and production is neglible for increased demand and can be met almost instantaneously. Issue here is cost transfer because Edge likely making less money on paper media and now transferring cost of content to digital media.
Before you speak, listen. Before you write, think. Before you spend, earn. Before you invest, investigate. Before you criticize, wait. Before you pray, forgive. Before you quit, try. Before you retire, save. Before you die, give. –William A. Ward

Think Asset-Business-Structure (ABS)
I think what he meant is that there is inelastic demand for digital media and therefore most users will not turn off with higher price.
Cost is secondary.

Just my Diary
corylogics.blogspot.com/

Let's all petition for a small discount like 10% in lieu of the dining voucher haha.

😇天堂与地狱😈就在当下
Using Tapatalk
From a marketing perspective, I believed their pricing strategy is more to do with speed of information. For digital version you get it at an instant it is available whereas for paper version you rely on the snail mail to deliver to you. There might be some information that investors can act upon for their trades and willing to pay the slight premium.
You get your print version on Friday afternoon after the postman's delivery. The digital version has a few more hours of advantage. The speed of digital delivery is not a useful advantage for me. I usually start reading it on the weekends.

Thanks for all your comments. I have decided to stop the subscription. I made it clear to the publisher my position and no longer wish to be a long term subscriber.

If needed I can always buy a once off digital copy for interesting articles