AGM or Annual General Makan ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mad scramble for food at AGM

The Straits Times
Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014

I have been attending company annual general meetings (AGMs) regularly, and one constant feature is the rush for food immediately after such meetings.

Recently, I attended an AGM in a five-star hotel. After the meeting, there was a mad scramble to get to the adjoining room where finger food was served.

People started jostling as soon as the hotel staff opened the doors, and someone even fell on the steps.

I observed people piling several portions of food from each tray onto their plates before emptying the plates into food containers they had with them.

Some even hogged the buffet tongs, depriving others of the chance to try different dishes.

The food trays were emptied in less than half an hour. This meant that people who stayed behind to speak to key officials had nothing to eat.

Those who revealed their ugly side belong in the minority, and have no interest in the proceedings.

To avoid the hassle of buffets, some companies have adopted the practice of giving out lunch boxes or even food vouchers.

As these AGMs show, we have still some way to go in displaying consideration and graciousness.

Andrew Seow
“risk comes from not knowing what you’re doing.”
I don’t look to jump over 7-foot bars: I look around for 1-foot bars that I can step over.
(16-04-2014, 09:54 AM)cfa Wrote: Mad scramble for food at AGM

The Straits Times
Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014

I have been attending company annual general meetings (AGMs) regularly, and one constant feature is the rush for food immediately after such meetings.

Recently, I attended an AGM in a five-star hotel. After the meeting, there was a mad scramble to get to the adjoining room where finger food was served.

People started jostling as soon as the hotel staff opened the doors, and someone even fell on the steps.

I observed people piling several portions of food from each tray onto their plates before emptying the plates into food containers they had with them.

Some even hogged the buffet tongs, depriving others of the chance to try different dishes.

The food trays were emptied in less than half an hour. This meant that people who stayed behind to speak to key officials had nothing to eat.

Those who revealed their ugly side belong in the minority, and have no interest in the proceedings.

To avoid the hassle of buffets, some companies have adopted the practice of giving out lunch boxes or even food vouchers.

As these AGMs show, we have still some way to go in displaying consideration and graciousness.

Andrew Seow

Ta Bao is too much!!! AngryAngry
"... but quitting while you're ahead is not the same as quitting." - Quote from the movie American Gangster
this is kinda strange, considering that the time/effort/$ invested in the companies itself is significantly MORE than what is spent on the food!!
1) Try NOT to LOSE money!
2) Do NOT SELL in BEAR, BUY-BUY-BUY! invest in managements/companies that does the same!
3) CASH in hand is KING in BEAR! 
4) In BULL, SELL-SELL-SELL! 
I am really curious are all the folks on the floor shareholders though..... or just there for the food.
(16-04-2014, 10:22 AM)kagemusha Wrote: I am really curious are all the folks on the floor shareholders though..... or just there for the food.

Nothing wrong with going there just for food. If everyone just take their shares and NO ta bao.
"... but quitting while you're ahead is not the same as quitting." - Quote from the movie American Gangster
My experience so far is the opposite. Food tend to be largely wasted since few shareholders turn up. Yet to see a mad dash for food or blatant ta bao for those which have a larger crowd. I guess the popular blue chips tend to attract a 'wilder crowd'.
Disclaimer: Please feel free to correct any error in my post. I am not liable for anything. Do your own research and analysis. I do NOT give buy or sell calls and stock tips. Buy and sell at your risk. I am not a qualified financial adviser so I do not give any advice. The postings reflects my own personal thoughts which may or may not be accurate.
(16-04-2014, 10:26 AM)opmi Wrote:
(16-04-2014, 10:22 AM)kagemusha Wrote: I am really curious are all the folks on the floor shareholders though..... or just there for the food.

Nothing wrong with going there just for food. If everyone just take their shares and NO ta bao.

Old folks in Singapore, have little entertainment opportunities. AGMs seem one of the choices with FOC meal, and strong feel of participation.

I agree nothing wrong with that, as long as basic rules obeyed.
“夏则资皮,冬则资纱,旱则资船,水则资车” - 范蠡
i have this idiosyncrasy about food. i don't have the appetite or the enjoyment to eat if people rush for food, in any kind of makan's setting. That's why i dislike attending buffet. i will avoid if possible.
The funny thing for me is after all these 25 to 26 years of investing in stocks, i have yet to attend a company's AGM. (Don't ask me how i survive in the market.)
How is the food, anyway?
i heard sometimes, it can be delicious (salivating now).
WB:-

1) Rule # 1, do not lose money.
2) Rule # 2, refer to # 1.
3) Not until you can manage your emotions, you can manage your money.

Truism of Investments.
A) Buying a security is buying RISK not Return
B) You can control RISK (to a certain level, hopefully only.) But definitely not the outcome of the Return.

NB:-
My signature is meant for psychoing myself. No offence to anyone. i am trying not to lose money unnecessary anymore.
i have attended some AGMs with few people attending, and i see that the food goes to waste. I think ta bao is alright as long as the intention is not to waste food, provided most shareholders have left the place. but if ta bao is done right at the start, then i think it is not too nice la!

I think people who view themselves as business owners will attend agms. People who view stocks as securities that are traded online/brokers dont really see agms as something important
I think buffet wasn't what it was intended in the first place. Most meetings will have some form of refreshments even small team meetings will have coffee finger foods or snacks, so something big event as an agm how do you cater refreshments to the needs of hundreds who may attend as they are after all the "shareholders" that the board is presenting to.

So only way is to get a caterer and have more food than less even though there could be wastage than have anybody complaining about the lack of hospitality.

Maybe over time this changed some company doing very well and so light refreshments give way to full course buffet as a form of "thank you" to shareholders and it's only a couple of thousand dollars once a year thingy just splash it and get the sign off "all items fully supported and passed" Tongue