Mindset change needed to solve transport woes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mindset change needed to solve transport woes - Today forum by Chong Lee Ming

Singapore's urban structure caters more to motor traffic than to train and pedestrian traffic (compare to other East Asia cities).

These differences explain some puzzling situations in Singapore, such as why there is a desire to own cars.
Why are taxis in short surpply?

To solve our transport woes, we need a mindset change.

First, we cannot aim to build a public transport system that is as good as those in major East Asia cities. We must invest more resources to better than them.
This requires bold, innovative solutions and a focus on commuter convenience and experience, rather than on the profitability of the transport operators.

For example, we could allow dedicated minibus services, operated by retirees during peak hours, to ferry residents from each housing precinct to the MRT stations - similar to services provided by several condominium.

Second, we should build dense public housing on land around MRT station.

Heart Love Compassion

A Life not Reflected is a Life not Worth Living.
感恩 26 April 2019 Straco AGM ppt  https://valuebuddies.com/thread-2915-pos...#pid152450
For one, the layout of existing MRT stations are not optimized for the flow of human traffic.
This is interesting to me as I have visited a number of Asian and Western countries and so far the Singapore MRT has been one of the best in my travels.

Anyone can enlighten me which countries MRT and are optimized and have fantastic public transport system? especially East Asian countries?
(28-01-2014, 12:15 PM)flinger Wrote: This is interesting to me as I have visited a number of Asian and Western countries and so far the Singapore MRT has been one of the best in my travels.

Anyone can enlighten me which countries MRT and are optimized and have fantastic public transport system? especially East Asian countries?

Ya lor. Sg MRT best among neighbors.

From my limited knowledge, HK one seems ok. PRC never break down
so often coz it is new.

In SG, the problematic one is NE line. Coz overload when they filled up Punggol 21.
"... but quitting while you're ahead is not the same as quitting." - Quote from the movie American Gangster
fantastic transport system? japan tokyo rail is a good example. Arrives on the dot and leaves on the dot when you consider the complexity of their system you get the sense they doing a marvelous job managing it with very little hiccups - japan rail is decades older than sg and not new system by the way.

when I see this I think our rail network is very simplified and yet they cannot get it right. Even when there are train break down in tokyo from the map you can see there are several alternative routes to a destination so there are redundancies built in to their system.

the simple truth is that our roads and rails weren't designed to accomodate 7-10 million that the government wants to bring in thus the current plague of issues which they are now trying to massage.

[Image: subway5.gif]

http://vendyxiao.com/wp-content/uploads/...rt-map.png
(28-01-2014, 10:21 AM)chialc88 Wrote: Mindset change needed to solve transport woes - Today forum by Chong Lee Ming

Singapore's urban structure caters more to motor traffic than to train and pedestrian traffic (compare to other East Asia cities).

These differences explain some puzzling situations in Singapore, such as why there is a desire to own cars.

First, we cannot aim to build a public transport system that is as good as those in major East Asia cities. We must invest more resources to better than them.
This requires bold, innovative solutions and a focus on commuter convenience and experience, rather than on the profitability of the transport operators.

For example, we could allow dedicated minibus services, operated by retirees during peak hours, to ferry residents from each housing precinct to the MRT stations - similar to services provided by several condominium.

Heart Love Compassion

Really dont understand what this guy is trying to drive at.
(28-01-2014, 02:50 PM)sgd Wrote: fantastic transport system? japan tokyo rail is a good example. Arrives on the dot and leaves on the dot when you consider the complexity of their system you get the sense they doing a marvelous job managing it with very little hiccups - japan rail is decades older than sg and not new system by the way.

when I see this I think our rail network is very simplified and yet they cannot get it right. Even when there are train break down in tokyo from the map you can see there are several alternative routes to a destination so there are redundancies built in to their system.

the simple truth is that our roads and rails weren't designed to accomodate 7-10 million that the government wants to bring in thus the current plague of issues which they are now trying to massage.

http://vendyxiao.com/wp-content/uploads/...rt-map.png

I totally agree.. Its easier to open the floodgate to FTs (implement a policy) than to build your basic infrastructure (take many years) to accomodate to higher number of population. The engineering acumen display by Japanese and German are highly sought after. The key question lies, if you cant nurture world class engineering capabilities talent. Do you put a ex Army general to run transportation?
(28-01-2014, 02:52 PM)DP28 Wrote:
(28-01-2014, 10:21 AM)chialc88 Wrote: Mindset change needed to solve transport woes - Today forum by Chong Lee Ming

Heart Love Compassion

Really dont understand what this guy is trying to drive at.

Many times the published letters have suffered edits at the hands of the press.
Rainbow 
I think I know what the forum writer meant:
Suggestion #1: Minibus concept
Allow low cost minibus to pickup passenger from MRT stations to HDB housing estate.
This minibus should be operating during peak hour only.
To lower cost, the writer suggest to use retirees.

Suggestion #2: Empty space near MRT station
Instead of selling those empty space near MRT station to private condo/shops, the writer suggest to build higher density HDB flat.
This will minimize the needs for homelander to commute between MRT station and their home.
The key word is higher density - may be 60 floors HDB estate on those empty space near MRT station.
[Image: Tin_Fu_Court.jpg]
(picture from wiki)

These two suggestions are revolutionary and that's why the writer highlighted that a MINDSET change is needed ... by our Government, of course!
Heart Love Compassion
Live with Passion, Lead with Compassion
2013-06-16
> his is interesting to me as I have visited a number of Asian and Western countries and so far the Singapore MRT has been one of the
> best in my travels.

The HK MRT system is 15 years older than Singapore. It breaks down a lot less frequent than our Singapore train system, which is far newer especially N-E and Circle Line.

And the train lengths in Circle line are shorter. How can it be shorter when the population grows more and the train length is very hard to change once built?