Long Term Investment in Foreign Stocks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the cheapest platform for long term investment in Foreign stocks (HKSE, NYSE etc) for Singaporeans?

I am currently using Standard Chartered Online Trading, and I have a feeling that they are charging about 1% more on exchange rates (based on rates I found on Google).

Thank you, would appreciate everyone's feedback.
Hi Wilddreamz,

The benefit of Stan Chart is that they do not charge you custodian fees for overseas holdings.

On the contrary as mentioned, the exchange rate differential is wide. This applies to other brokerages connected to banks as well. One possible good avenue for overseas holding is using non-bank brokerages such as Poems, Lim & Tan. My personal believe is that their differential rate is less than 1% (however, do note they charge custodian fee).

Why don't I suggest if you want to save the 1% differential; is to go to the Arcade change to the foreign currency of choice and deposit it into your stanchart account at one of their SG branches. The arcade rates deviate less than 0.3% normally from official fx rates. You can call in to ask stan chart if they accept foreign currency deposit into your FCY settlement account.

Not sure if this can be done. But its worth a try!
I've checked on that before, and it cannot be done. You'll need a foreign currency account with standard chartered and those have minimum balances (unlike settlement accounts) plus charges for withdrawal.

I'm using standard chartered for my foreign holdings as well (euronext). It's not a great platform, but guess it's good enough. More than once their system fails, and you cannot access (buy/sell) via the online platform for awhile and sometimes u'll have trouble converting back to SGD. But that's about all the problems I have.
Thank you! Regardless, I will send them an email to find outBig Grin

@piggo Oh bummer, thanks anyway.
interactive broker?
I'm using standard chartered now as well. From what I compute based on goog exchange rate. Seems like Stan chart, if u wanna do a round trip forex conversion back to sgd. will cost u about1.5 percent. Meaning 0.75 percent per conversion. Best is just leave the forex in the foreign currency to continue investing lol.

Adding onto commission cost for buy sell. One round trade using Stan chart cost more than 2 percent. Better buy those buy n hold stocks LOL.

Anyone else got other platform to recommend?

Anw side track abit, I'm recently thinking abt how much worth of stocks shud I leave in Stan chart as I grow my portfolio. I'm not rly feeling secure abt Stan chart platform n stocks are not covered by deposit insurance scheme. Does anyone know the fact that stan chart doesn't charge custodian fees n it's unique brokerage model affect our money recovery in case of a bank failure or fraud? (Stan chart is safe but not as safe as the local sg banks lol)
wildreamz, i currently use optionsXpress (www.optionsxpress.com.sg). They also currently do not charge custodian fee (i use the word currently because there is a clause in their account agreement about custodian fee but so far there is no custodian fee or announced plan of future custodian fee).

Transaction fee is 14.95 USD for mainboard stocks (NYSE, NASDAQ) but for OTC stocks it can be higher. There is no minimum transaction fee per quarter (a plus for me who trade infrequently).

As for the investment money I use DBS to transfer the money to the US (so I use DBS SGD to USD rate at the day of the wire transfer).
I don't use SCB's online trading but I have an SCB USD account called USD high account. As far as I know, there is no minimum balance requirement, no withdrawal charges and it came with a USd debit card that allows you to shop online using your US dollars.

They offered me this account after I made complains about the charges involved in my previous USD account. They relented and offered this to me and told me they have stopped offering this USD product long time ago.

I think if you pester them long enough, they might just offer it to you.

If you can use this account to settle your USD trade, it might just reduce your cost of trading.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
How abt dbs vickers? It seems that they do not charge custodian fee too
(27-01-2014, 07:31 PM)funman168 Wrote: How abt dbs vickers? It seems that they do not charge custodian fee too

funman168, last time I look DBS Vickers charge custodian fee, that's why I don't use them for my US trading (I use DBS Vickers for SGX)

Source: https://www.dbsvonline.com/English/pfee.asp

Quote:Custody Fee (charged quarterly) SGD 2 per counter per month, capped at SGD 150.00 per quarter.

Waiver based on combination of Singapore & foreign market transactions:
© 2 x transactions per month
(d) 6 x transactions per quarter