Asiatravel.com Holdings Ltd

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just realized that there is no thread on Asiatravel.com, my favourite hotel booking website. Google here, google there. Browse here, browse there. In the end, always end up booking hotels with Asiatravel.com

IIRC, the company has not been doing well. I wonder if there is a turnaround story.
Comment, comment, please.
Specuvestor: Asset - Business - Structure.
Most people booked through agoda or even airbnb.

Asiatravel.com seldom got better deals one.
"... but quitting while you're ahead is not the same as quitting." - Quote from the movie American Gangster
(23-12-2013, 07:10 PM)opmi Wrote: Most people booked through agoda or even airbnb.

Asiatravel.com seldom got better deals one.

I always find other websites' hotel rooms are sold out, but they are still available at Asiatravel.com
That's why I end up booking hotels at Asiatravel.com
Probably due to what you have mentioned ?
Specuvestor: Asset - Business - Structure.
Online travel sites very low barriers to entry. Can just link up to hotel reservations system to get access to all hotels inventory. At standard wholesale price.

Unless have volume or relationship with major hotel groups, quite hard to offer better deals than the others.

Ultimately agoda/priceline will suck up all the volume at lowest price. Quite hard for small players to survive. My guess.

Sometimes I book directly with hotel website. Maybe be cheaper during promotions. And no fees.

So uphill battle for Asiatravel.
"... but quitting while you're ahead is not the same as quitting." - Quote from the movie American Gangster
Normally I use agoda for hotel booking in Asian destinations. Elong for China.

Skyscanner to do a scan on air ticket prices.

From their 2012AR

FY2012 was a difficult and challenging year for Asiatravel.com Holdings Limited and its subsidiaries (collectively the “Group”) due to weak business environment and intensified competition from new and existing players. In anticipation of these challenges, the Group has launched many growth initiatives to weather these challenges. We have launched the TAcentre.com, which is a dedicated online B2B wholesale business, and the all-inclusive online flight package products. While these new businesses are in the early stage of launch, they have helped to mitigate the weakness in the core online hotel reservation business. On a longer horizon, these new businesses together with our core online hotel reservation business will be able to expand our products and distribution channels to give us the critical mass for sustainable growth.

Doesn't look good. Making loss for 3rd year running. And they are exploring new business options
Maybe AT needs to find a big parent as I see agoda and booking.com both belong to parent priceline.com I also see a lot of other e-commerce sites those that actually survive is because they are part of a much bigger established organization.

another idea to turn around. If the rights to the booking system and software belongs 100% to AT maybe they can explore branching into software services by providing consultation / franchise service model to help other people get into the industry. Not sure if they are already doing it.
The rates offer by AsiaTravel seem to be always higher than the rest(expedia,booking.com,agoda...)
And for country specific hotel-booking websites, the price and variety are even better. Eg. for Japan, Rakuten and Japanican offer more choices at lower prices. Wotif was great in Australia when I went there a few years back.

Sometimes, I will try booking the room directly through the hotel and there is a good chance that the price is better with some perks.

I suppose these hotel-booking websites are simply cutthroat businesses. The cheapest will win the day.

For AT to turnaround, it probably needs more than just lowering the cost and cutting the price and I am not sure how it is going to reinnovate this business.
(24-12-2013, 08:52 AM)sgd Wrote: Maybe AT needs to find a big parent as I see agoda and booking.com both belong to parent priceline.com I also see a lot of other e-commerce sites those that actually survive is because they are part of a much bigger established organization.

another idea to turn around. If the rights to the booking system and software belongs 100% to AT maybe they can explore branching into software services by providing consultation / franchise service model to help other people get into the industry. Not sure if they are already doing it.

AT probably own the 'skin' and front-end user interface. That one not worth money. everyone will link to a backend engine by hotel reservation system provider. Just need to sign up. Thats why the online booking is ultra-competitive coz no barriers to entry.

AT got nothing to offer to strategic buyers.

AT better off selling its listed shell.....maybe bitcoin mining company...haha...
Even budget airlines also provide hotel booking, so not easy for small players to compete.
(24-12-2013, 11:48 AM)Stocker Wrote: Even budget airlines also provide hotel booking, so not easy for small players to compete.

ya. all plugged into the same few hotel reservations systems. no barriers to entry.