Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
QAF
12-12-2010, 11:29 AM. (This post was last modified: 23-10-2013, 03:23 PM by CityFarmer.)
QAF
Just wondering anyone vested or keen or has done some research on this counter? appreciate your comments..thanks

basically it deals with food commonly found in supermarkets in local context..

Find Reply
13-12-2010, 08:51 AM.
RE: QAF Limited
i class this together with Thai Village. Thai Village used to give good dividends
=========== Signature ===========
Dividend Investing and More @ InvestmentMoats.com

Find Reply
13-12-2010, 10:22 PM.
I think Thai Village recently declared a good dividends still..
that strange why class QAF with Thai village? Thai village is more like soup restuarant etc

Find Reply
15-12-2010, 09:31 AM.
i am vested but in samll amount. i am not an expert in reading report or analysing how good a company is, so cannot tell you any comments about the company. i bought into this inactive shares only because i consume some of their products.

Find Reply
15-12-2010, 10:28 PM.
(15-12-2010, 09:31 AM)chang Wrote: i am vested but in samll amount. i am not an expert in reading report or analysing how good a company is, so cannot tell you any comments about the company. i bought into this inactive shares only because i consume some of their products.
hi chang which are their products that you consume? i think your style of investing works as well - buy into something that you spend on...is a gd strategy

Find Reply
20-12-2010, 09:50 AM.
(15-12-2010, 10:28 PM)pianist Wrote: hi chang which are their products that you consume? i think your style of investing works as well - buy into something that you spend on...is a gd strategy
don't think so is a gd strategy. when we buy, we always want to buy a good company at a lowest possible price. this is, in my opinion, the most important. i lack the ability to spot a good company, can only rely on others' analysis which is very risky. and when u r not sure, u won't put in enough amount to make a meaningful return.

as for their product, i like farmland chicken nugget (with and without chilli), hash brown, french fries. and some cowhead biscuits, milk, cereal which are of decent quality and price. recently i saw farmland potato chips in super-marts at taipei. (in there are also cerebos, f&n products in small quantity)

Find Reply
20-12-2010, 09:55 AM.
(15-12-2010, 10:28 PM)pianist Wrote: i think your style of investing works as well - buy into something that you spend on...is a gd strategy

I think Peter Lynch himself recommended this strategy to retail investors - to purchase shares in companies in which you are intimately familiar with because you use their products. However, do note that what Lynch mentions is a simplification of the actual process and due diligence required for a meaningful investment, as he may have omitted to mention that one also needs to study the business model and fundamentals of the company in order to decide if it makes a worthwhile investment.

This can be a problem when you start purchasing shares of companies with familiar brand names only to see your investment dwindle over the years (e.g. Creative Technology, TTI for Akira products).

Just a note of caution.
=========== Signature ===========
My Value Investing Blog: http://sgmusicwhiz.blogspot.com/

http://sgmusicwhiz.blogspot.com
Website Find Reply
20-12-2010, 10:22 PM.
(20-12-2010, 09:50 AM)chang Wrote: don't think so is a gd strategy. when we buy, we always want to buy a good company at a lowest possible price. this is, in my opinion, the most important. i lack the ability to spot a good company, can only rely on others' analysis which is very risky. and when u r not sure, u won't put in enough amount to make a meaningful return.
as for their product, i like farmland chicken nugget (with and without chilli), hash brown, french fries. and some cowhead biscuits, milk, cereal which are of decent quality and price. recently i saw farmland potato chips in super-marts at taipei. (in there are also cerebos, f&n products in small quantity)
big waves and oregon potato chips are under their brands too...glad to hear u like their food..
i notice QAF's products are more widely marketed in Giants than in NTUC fairprice..
In Giants you can even find their tomato sauces, fruit jams,
actually i dun realli think QAF is a very strong company because they are in the competitive business in terms of retail products displayed in the supermarkets..a better deal will be dairy farm..do u think dairy farm is cheap at current price?

Find Reply
20-12-2010, 11:17 PM. (This post was last modified: 20-12-2010, 11:20 PM by mikh.)
QAF is majority controlled by the Salim grp so they have strong backers. I remember them as the company Wong FF revived with Gardenia bread. I still like their wholemeal bread but its expensive and that category has so many competitors now.

Find Reply
21-12-2010, 01:13 AM.
To be honest, I know of more people who like Sunshine bread & Bon Jour now then Gardenia. The only thing I like from Gardenia is their Banana & Walnut Bread. Then again, if any of the other brands launch something similar, I'm quite open to switching.

Find Reply