Malaysia ‘ahead of schedule’ to become developed nation by 2020

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Malaysia ‘ahead of schedule’ to become developed nation by 2020

KUALA LUMPUR — Malaysia will achieve its goal of becoming a developed nation ahead of the 2020 schedule based on current projections, Prime Minister Najib Razak said yesterday.

“The Economic Transformation Programme (ETP), which aims to transform Malaysia to developed status by 2020, is fully on track,” he said in his opening address at the 17th Asia Oil & Gas Conference 2013 in Kuala Lumpur.

http://www.todayonline.com/world/asia/ma...ation-2020
“夏则资皮,冬则资纱,旱则资船,水则资车” - 范蠡
IMO, there is no way they can be a developed nation even by 2020. I have been working in west Malaysia for some time and have seen the worse of things going around (ok maybe I have exaggerated).

Their way of increasing GDP is by implementing minimum wages which started this yr and this is only the beginning I reckon.

KL "maybe" doing well, but for the rest of the country I doubt so.

Comments are welcome. Smile
My own view when it comes to govt announcements originating from m'sia is half the time it's just a load of hot air and nothing more.
2 measures of country potential - drinking water from tap & taxi that goes by meter.
Msia cannot even do that now.
"... but quitting while you're ahead is not the same as quitting." - Quote from the movie American Gangster
Corruption is a problem too......
My Dividend Investing Blog
I think many people overlook potential of malaysia, they are blessed with many natural resources like timber, tin, oil, gas, gold, rubber, cocoa, palm. They also have a lot of land and cheap labor. We don't even have natural drinking water.

We here like to criticize their system of government though I see not perfect but relatively stable and giving us a chance to get ahead, imagine if their system of government were on same level of ruthless efficiency as ours I think we'd starve to death long ago already and begging them to take us back.

Corruption? Please ... Singapore also have lah, only thing you see is instead of money people in positions of power here accept sex bribes.

Something about Sex and Singapore it's strange that so many people crazy about it yet our birthrates are dismally low. Big Grin
Yes With those resources, they should be ahead. So it is mgt issue. Value-destroyer.
Hard to dislodge because the majority can be satisfied with peanuts.

(11-06-2013, 07:58 PM)sgd Wrote: I think many people overlook potential of malaysia, they are blessed with many natural resources like timber, tin, oil, gas, gold, rubber, cocoa, palm. They also have a lot of land and cheap labor. We don't even have natural drinking water.

We here like to criticize their system of government though I see not perfect but relatively stable and giving us a chance to get ahead, imagine if their system of government were on same level of ruthless efficiency as ours I think we'd starve to death long ago already and begging them to take us back.

Corruption? Please ... Singapore also have lah, only thing you see is instead of money people in positions of power here accept sex bribes.

Something about Sex and Singapore it's strange that so many people crazy about it yet our birthrates are dismally low. Big Grin
"... but quitting while you're ahead is not the same as quitting." - Quote from the movie American Gangster
(11-06-2013, 08:17 PM)opmi Wrote: Yes With those resources, they should be ahead. So it is mgt issue. Value-destroyer.
Hard to dislodge because the majority can be satisfied with peanuts.

Suzhou, micropolis shin corp? how? Can? Tongue

The Malaysians can destroy value but they will bounce back that one nobody can deny. They can squander all the money wantonly waste billions and billions on no meaning projects and they have done so many times. Back in 1981 during the tenure of Premier Hussein Onn they tried to corner the London Tin Market setting up company Maminco to soak all the Tin futures contracts to drive up prices in the end loss 1.6Billion dollars, in the 80's there was global recession 1.6b is an astronomical amount of money but they return from that brink.

During asian currency crisis when they again so badly hit and came to ask for their CPF we thought their economy were done for but they later bounce back again.

Their money and economy is not in their people and as you also say their people don't earn much, instead their money is in the ground, growing naturally up in the trees. So dun write them off so easily. They can afford to screw up many times, we on other hand can't. Big Grin
Singapore is like "China Essence". Once we screw up the only "harvesting season" in the year, we are screwed for generations.
Mark my word - the day will come. Malaysia will catch up !
I for one is grateful that Malaysia is what it is today. For that matter, countries in our surrounding region....... Else our future generation will suffer.