HK AGM- in cantonese or english??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone goes to HK regularly for AGM?
I can't understand cantonese if it's the case Sad
It can be in english or cantonese depends on the Chairman at the meeting . Which company do you want to attend ? Your shares must being in your own name identifying you as a shareholder or you need to get your broker to inform the company atleast 2-3 days before the meeting.
(15-03-2013, 04:39 PM)soros Wrote: It can be in english or cantonese depends on the Chairman at the meeting . Which company do you want to attend ? Your shares must being in your own name identifying you as a shareholder or you need to get your broker to inform the company atleast 2-3 days before the meeting.

I c, thx for the info

I'm thinking to go for Pico Far East, but on 2nd thought I might skip this year's Smile
Ikur1,

I was at Pico's Hong Kong AGM last year. It was in the English language. I recall a senior citizen gentleman who asked a question in Cantonese, and Pico's Chairman was kind and polite enough to carefully translate the question into English. The AGM minutes are also written up in English.

I have been to a few other AGM's in Hong Kong - most are in English or if not ............... with translation into English.

Sorry to respond late - I have been away for a bit.

Vested in Pico.

(15-03-2013, 08:45 PM)ikur1 Wrote:
(15-03-2013, 04:39 PM)soros Wrote: It can be in english or cantonese depends on the Chairman at the meeting . Which company do you want to attend ? Your shares must being in your own name identifying you as a shareholder or you need to get your broker to inform the company atleast 2-3 days before the meeting.

I c, thx for the info

I'm thinking to go for Pico Far East, but on 2nd thought I might skip this year's Smile
RBM, Retired Botanic MatSalleh
any gd hk investing forum to introduce us?
Wink 
Big Grin
(14-03-2013, 04:43 PM)ikur1 Wrote: Anyone goes to HK regularly for AGM?
I can't understand cantonese if it's the case Sad

Hi, I have been to some HK AGMs recently. You can ask in English. Usually the CFO will translate for you if the Chairman don't speak English.

I found that HK Board usually friendlier to English-speaking foreigners since they made an effort to fly over to HK. I think if you identify yourself as Singaporean, they will try to answer your query.

At one AGM, the CFO was there to sit down with me to pre-empt my questions before the AGM. Probably don't want embarrassing questions.

Generally, my experience with HK AGMs is quite good. Better than the SG ones. Although the food not very good.Big Grin
Some of them are in pure mandarin
(15-03-2013, 04:39 PM)soros Wrote: It can be in english or cantonese depends on the Chairman at the meeting .        Which company do you want to attend ?  Your shares must being in your own name identifying you as a shareholder  or you need to get your broker to inform the company atleast 2-3 days before the meeting.

Hi soros / opmi or other buddies,

I am very inclined to attend a no. of HK AGM this year - time to take the next step in my investing journey & widen my horizons. Hopefully by then the covid-19 is history.

My shares are under UOBKH custody so my name wld not be reflected in the company as a shareholder. So I guess I wld need the broker to inform the target company. Can i clarify the process :

1. Who to write to in the target company or the broker will somehow know the full process(e.g. right dept of the company ) as part of their SOP ? I wld think lots of Singaporeans had already attended some HK AGMs right ?
2. Are there any charges(e.g. admin) from the broker ?
3. What do we need to produce to enter into the AGM - just passport and/or need some doc from our broker as proof of share ownership ?

Many Thanks in advance !   Heart Smile
(18-02-2020, 10:18 PM)My shares are under UOBKH custody so my name wld not be reflected in the company as a shareholder. So I guess I wld  need the broker to inform the target company. Can i clarify the process : Wrote: 1. Who to write to in the target company or the broker will somehow know the full process(e.g. right dept of the company ) as part of their SOP ? I wld think lots of Singaporeans had already attended some HK AGMs right ?  

Tell UOBKH via trading rep that you want to attend the HK AGM/SGM/EGM and what is the process like? For my broker, they will email me a simple form to complete and mail back. Better if Notice of Meeting is already out on HKEX so that you have the meeting details. My broker will arrange with the HK registrar for your proxy to attend the meeting. Lead time about 1 week. Just follow up with them a few days before the meeting to double confirm.

2. Are there any charges(e.g. admin) from the broker ?

It is free of charge for my broker.

3. What do we need to produce to enter into the AGM - just passport and/or need some doc from our broker as proof of share ownership ?

When you reach the place of meeting, go to the registration counter. Say "Proxy" and pass them your passport (passport also has NRIC no.). They will check your name and print out your voting form.

Go early. If they dont state that there will be a QnA session later on, raise your hands to ask if there is a QnA session after the reading of first resolution. If no, then ask your questions. Must be thick skinned a bit.
Questions can be in English, Cantonese or Mandarin. Most of them can understand English, though they may respond in the same language as the questions asked. 

Usually the Board will hang around after meeting. Can approach them. Can also go early to talk to mgt and board. Say that you are from Singapore. Usually they will entertain your questions.

"... but quitting while you're ahead is not the same as quitting." - Quote from the movie American Gangster
thanks for all the helpful questions and replies. for dbs vickers, i email "info_sg@dbsvonline.com" and request for proof of share holdings for attending agm. hopefully the covid-19 wont shift things around too much this year.