More home owners 'decoupling' property to avoid hefty duty

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How nice! Split up the asset so that each can take up even more debt! Singaporeans are certainly not averse to debt (but I am Sad )....

The Straits Times
www.straitstimes.com
Published on Feb 02, 2013
More home owners 'decoupling' property to avoid hefty duty

Shift from co-ownership to solo lets one party buy second home ABSD-free

By Esther Teo Property Reporter

HOME owners are finding ways to reduce the amount they have to pay after hefty stamp duty increases were introduced two weeks ago.

One way is for families - say a husband and wife, or a parent and child - who bought a house together to transfer one partner's share to the other person.

This creates a sole owner and leaves the other half of the pair free to buy another home without having to pay the additional buyer's stamp duty (ABSD), as that purchase will be seen as his first.

The saving can be substantial. A Singaporean buying a second home will have to pay a 7 per cent ABSD, while permanent residents (PRs) pay 10 per cent.

KhattarWong managing partner Gurbachan Singh told The Straits Times that he has seen more cases where couples "decouple" their property.

The firm has fielded about 10 queries over the past fortnight, and is already acting in two or three decoupling cases.

"It's no longer co-ownership or part ownership. They want to transfer everything to one party so that the other party can buy without the burden of the ABSD.

"Although the Government says this is temporary, we don't know when it's going to be lifted, therefore given that uncertainty... people are taking pre-emptive action," he added.

But the transferring of a half share to one of the co-owners is still subject to the standard stamp duty rate of 3 per cent, as it is considered a transaction, Mr Singh noted.

KhattarWong is also taking more appeals to the taxman over the revised ABSD rates.

One aspect has to do with a will that bequeaths a property with apparent instruction for sale, so that the beneficiary receives the sale proceeds of a property rather than the property itself.

This could entail the executor of the will selling the property and distributing the proceeds to those named in the will. No tax is payable on the distribution of sale proceeds to the beneficiary.

If, however, instead of selling the property, the executor transfers the property to the beneficiary, the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore's (Iras) position is that stamp duty - and in turn ABSD, if applicable - should be paid, Mr Singh said.

Take a Singaporean who owns a private home, and is then left the proceeds of a property by his deceased parent.

If he opts to keep this property instead of allowing it to be sold as stated in the will, he will have to stump up 10 per cent in stamp duty based on a market valuation. This includes the standard 3 per cent and the additional 7 per cent, as it is a second home.

A PR in the same position has to pay the standard 3 per cent plus the additional 10 per cent.

If the son then sells the inherited apartment within four years, he will also be subject to the seller's stamp duty (SSD) of up to 16 per cent.

"We don't think (having ABSD or SSD levied on such inheritances) is correct, we presently have two instructions to object and to appeal against (Iras') position," Mr Singh said. "If the response from Iras is not satisfactory, we may take a court ruling for it."

Lawyers note that if the will had instructed for the physical property be handed down to the son, no stamp duty applies, thus this same rule should be applied even in these alternative cases.

Mr Singh said the new stamp duty laws are the "most radical" since 1973, when the Residential Property Act was introduced, which prevented foreigners from buying landed homes. "If you look at the ABSD, we seem to give regard to your citizenship status, and I suppose the message is that the Government's interest is to look after Singaporeans first."

esthert@sph.com.sg
My Value Investing Blog: http://sgmusicwhiz.blogspot.com/
(02-02-2013, 10:44 AM)Musicwhiz Wrote: How nice! Split up the asset so that each can take up even more debt! Singaporeans are certainly not averse to debt (but I am Sad )....

Singaporeans buy into the idea that an property asset is a "good debt".

But it is interesting to see people come up with more creative ideas to get around the rules and I am not sure if the policymakers really understand that further cooling measures are not going to work if everyone thinks the market is never coming down.
You can count on the greed of man for the next recession to happen.
> The 7M population creating another round of panic buying...

Brilliant master stroke from the ruling party...

THink I must start to find a neighbour country to buy a house... future SG is for foreigners...
If a Singaporean owns an HDB flat , and wish to buy a private residential property , is he/she has to pay the ABSD ?
> If a Singaporean owns an HDB flat , and wish to buy a private residential property , is he/she has to pay the ABSD ?

You find out first can? and let me know. thank u...
(02-02-2013, 07:54 PM)Contrarian Wrote: > If a Singaporean owns an HDB flat , and wish to buy a private residential property , is he/she has to pay the ABSD ?

You find out first can? and let me know. thank u...

Do you need to be sarcastic even if you don't have the answer ?
There are other forummers here may be able to advise me.
http://www.ura.gov.sg/pr/text/2013/pr13-04.html

http://www.ura.gov.sg/pr/graphics/2013/pr13-04a1.pdf

For your reference.

(02-02-2013, 09:23 PM)arthur Wrote: http://www.ura.gov.sg/pr/text/2013/pr13-04.html

http://www.ura.gov.sg/pr/graphics/2013/pr13-04a1.pdf

For your reference.

Hi Arthur,

Many thanks for your help.
GBU and family.

Kind Regards/Tony
(02-02-2013, 07:31 PM)tonylim Wrote: If a Singaporean owns an HDB flat , and wish to buy a private residential property , is he/she has to pay the ABSD ?

In short, you pay 7% ABSD but upon your private ppty TOP you sell your HDB they will refund back your 7%...

Bro cool down all are old birds from previous WS.

Just bot a small investment ppty JV with my daughter..i see good buy cos next to seng keng mrt..Location is my priority

La Fiesta, 1 bedder 431sq ft...near $600k..rental projection aro $2.3k pm..ROI 4%.
Hi Koh _52 ,

Many thanks.

You are right , there is always Asshole around, no need to get agitated for nothing.

Regards/Tony