Government determined to increase population to 7 mil in 2030.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ok wait, they change the number to 6.9 million after the Punggol BE defeat. At least the top honchos have abit of humility this time.
Must give them a Tiger for that.

On a serious note, the rationale why commoners are pissed off is because of past mistakes of not aligning adequate amount of housing and transportation system network with the population increase.
I am not even bringing in the grouses of school entrants and jobs competition.

Whether the current incumbent party continues its mistake or not, we will leave it to the electorate in 2016 and 2021 to decide.

Oh by the way, it is a given more New citizens are coming in, read between the lines. Hurray for "grateful votes".

http://www.population.sg/whitepaper/down...-paper.pdf

http://www.population.sg/

Do they listen to the citizens ? National conversation ?
“risk comes from not knowing what you’re doing.”
I don’t look to jump over 7-foot bars: I look around for 1-foot bars that I can step over.
(29-01-2013, 02:23 PM)cfa Wrote: Do they listen to the citizens ? National conversation ?

wayang show
You can count on the greed of man for the next recession to happen.
Did anyone read through the white paper?
or just take the number 6.9 and start to hammer..
This was the Executive Summary of page 8,

"Singapore’s total population of residents and nonresidents in 2020 is projected to be between 5.8 and 6 million, depending on our fertility trends, life expectancy, as well as our social and economic needs. The resident population (comprising citizens and PRs) is projected to be 4 to 4.1 million, of which citizens alone will make up 3.5 to 3.6 million.

By 2030, Singapore’s total population could range between 6.5 and 6.9 million. There is a wider band of uncertainty, and the actual population will again depend on factors such as our fertility trends and life expectancy, the global and regional environment, our economic structure and social needs. The resident population (comprising citizens and PRs) is projected to be 4.2 to 4.4 million, of which citizens alone will make up 3.6 to 3.8 million."
my sincere advice to parents.....

start preparing your children to learn tagalog(philippines), bengali(bangladesh), burmese(myanmar), hindi(india), khmer(Cambodia.....pretty soon we might importing loads of them when other sources are exhausted), Sinhala(Sri Lanka), Vietnamese(Vietnam) and many others if you want your children to get a head start in life ^^

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_official_languages

(few days ago, my mum was trying to speak melayu to a Singtel's technician thinking he was a malay.....or look like a malay.........asking if he needs a drink while repairing our home lines....not knowing that he was actually from the Philippines....lol....)
Is anyone here in favour of a dropping population? Why?
(29-01-2013, 03:21 PM)yeokiwi Wrote: Is anyone here in favour of a dropping population? Why?

I am in favour of a population size which does not strain our transport infrastructure and cause our housing prices to keep rising.
My Value Investing Blog: http://sgmusicwhiz.blogspot.com/
Quote:Is anyone here in favour of a dropping population? Why?

It will be a real island paradise would it not? no traffic no queuing up for anything no stress at all everybody will have the quality of life that they yearn for Big Grin

hmm .. what are your reasons for wanting over population? Big Grin
(29-01-2013, 03:27 PM)Musicwhiz Wrote:
(29-01-2013, 03:21 PM)yeokiwi Wrote: Is anyone here in favour of a dropping population? Why?

I am in favour of a population size which does not strain our transport infrastructure and cause our housing prices to keep rising.

Ya.. we all knew that the gov screwed up in transport and public housing policy for the last few years. But, the fundamental problem that causes the above problems is that our population will decline without immigrants.

So, should we allow the population to drop in the future? If we go in that direction, then the population will stay constant now and will slowly decline in the future.

Another way to solve the problem is to boost the fertility rate which is not necessary controllable by gov.

(29-01-2013, 03:52 PM)sgd Wrote:
Quote:Is anyone here in favour of a dropping population? Why?

It will be a real island paradise would it not? no traffic no queuing up for anything no stress at all everybody will have the quality of life that they yearn for Big Grin

hmm .. what are your reasons for wanting over population? Big Grin

Old people >> young people if we stop the immigration.. Is that what you are looking forward?