Smartphone Stock Tracking Apps

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am using SGXStocks on my Andrioid phone. My needs are simple, I just want to be able to check the price of the stock. I don't trade using my phone. The problem I have with this app is that when there is a consolidation like the case of AIMSAMP, the tracking stops. It shows the last traded price before the consolidationSad.

Hope to hear from the rest of you the pros and cons of the apps you are using. Thanks.
I'm not using any 3rd Party Apps but rather, the ones from the Securities House. In my case, I have POEMS & UOBKH Apps for iPhone.

POEMS
Dislikes : Display only 3 Columns of Price Data - Have to reselect if you don't want the default of Last Done, Change, Vol.

UOBKH
Likes : Nice Display with all the necessary Trade Data on screen (use finger to drag to see right-left columns), Charts (RSI, MACD,... but I don't know how to read and use, haha..)
Dislikes : Manual Refresh to get latest prices

Both Apps can be launched at the same time but troublesome to switch between Apps. Alternatively, I guess I can also use Safari (OS) to log in to either of the main sites.

However, when I'm outside, I find the Apps good enough for me. I prefer POEMS cos' of the live prices but I do prefer the display of UOBKH. Rolleyes
Luck & Fortune Favours those who are Prepared & Decisive when Opportunity Knocks
------------ 知己知彼 ,百战不殆 ;不知彼 ,不知己 ,每战必殆 ------------
(16-05-2012, 10:42 PM)KopiKat Wrote: POEMS
Dislikes : Display only 3 Columns of Price Data - Have to reselect if you don't want the default of Last Done, Change, Vol.

Does it take a fair amount of time to load & then log in the poems app?

I am using the android-based poems app and hence, tends to wait quite a bit before I can proceed to viewing the live timing.

Given the trade-off, I will rather use a 3rd party app which has a 15-min delay.

For those who are into HK stocks, "aastocks" is a good app which offer free live prices, along with other good features as well.
(16-05-2012, 11:25 PM)dzwm87 Wrote:
(16-05-2012, 10:42 PM)KopiKat Wrote: POEMS

Does it take a fair amount of time to load & then log in the poems app?

I am using the android-based poems app and hence, tends to wait quite a bit before I can proceed to viewing the live timing.

Given the trade-off, I will rather use a 3rd party app which has a 15-min delay.

For those who are into HK stocks, "aastocks" is a good app which offer free live prices, along with other good features as well.

For me, rather fast to load and log in.
Slowness may be due to being in an area where there're many people on HP competing for the limited bandwidth?
Luck & Fortune Favours those who are Prepared & Decisive when Opportunity Knocks
Am using android.

1) Web browser approach
Android browsers do not support streaming (or i have not come across 1 that does, that is freeware). Hence i can only access websites that provide static stock quotes eg. sgx website or specific broker site. Most not optimised for mobile display with uobkayhian 1 of the exceptions.

2) Dedicated app approach
Among brokers i use, only L&T has android-based app and it provides live streaming. But UI not so good, fonts too small and not scalable. Initial loading takes some time which i attribute to my single core cpu android and sometimes when i'm in a low bandwidth locale. Otherwise works fine.
Broker apps generally isn't too good... Live price updates is nice but not necessarily needed for me, so am using this paid all called "portfolio tracker" with some tweaking it can auto estimate the value of your portfolio everyday =)
(17-05-2012, 12:28 AM)swakoo Wrote: Am using android.

1) Web browser approach
Android browsers do not support streaming (or i have not come across 1 that does, that is freeware). Hence i can only access websites that provide static stock quotes eg. sgx website or specific broker site. Most not optimised for mobile display with uobkayhian 1 of the exceptions.

Among brokers i use, only L&T has android-based app and it provides live streaming. But UI not so good, fonts too small and not scalable. Initial loading takes some time which i attribute to my single core cpu android and sometimes when i'm in a low bandwidth locale. Otherwise works fine.

Latest Android operating environment, Ice Cream Sandwich, supports Java streaming. So live streaming quotes can be accessed at broker trading websites (eg. uobkayhian's utrade mobile) using the built-in web browser - no need for dedicated standalone applications. This new OE is also faster. So together with the quad core cpu's in the latest Androids, loading and browsing is so much speedier. And, oh, the new OE supports scalable fonts too. Vast improvements!
(30-05-2012, 08:24 PM)swakoo Wrote:
(17-05-2012, 12:28 AM)swakoo Wrote: Am using android.

1) Web browser approach

Latest Android operating environment, Ice Cream Sandwich, supports Java streaming. So live streaming quotes can be accessed at broker trading websites (eg. uobkayhian's utrade mobile) using the built-in web browser - no need for dedicated standalone applications. This new OE is also faster. So together with the quad core cpu's in the latest Androids, loading and browsing is so much speedier. And, oh, the new OE supports scalable fonts too. Vast improvements!

You have triggered the desire and excuse for me to buy a samsung pad. 7 inches or 9 inches? or 11 inches? Or goes with Samsung S3 insterad? Big Grin

I assume those devices comes with Ice Cream Sandwich Big Grin

BYW, need to apply permit (wife permit) before i can proceed. Tongue
“夏则资皮,冬则资纱,旱则资船,水则资车” - 范蠡
(30-05-2012, 08:56 PM)CityFarmer Wrote: You have triggered the desire and excuse for me to buy a samsung pad. 7 inches or 9 inches? or 11 inches? Or goes with Samsung S3 insterad? Big Grin

I assume those devices comes with Ice Cream Sandwich Big Grin

BYW, need to apply permit (wife permit) before i can proceed. Tongue

The 4.8 inch S3 comes with Ice Cream Sandwich AND quad core cpu. Online ST pre-orders sold out 2 days ago and last night long queues - still plenty of liquidity out there, not just for properties...

For the next level of mobility, go for a pad but they are still on duo core, so worth waiting till quad.

Good luck with wife! Sleepy
(30-05-2012, 10:10 PM)swakoo Wrote: The 4.8 inch S3 comes with Ice Cream Sandwich AND quad core cpu. Online ST pre-orders sold out 2 days ago and last night long queues - still plenty of liquidity out there, not just for properties...

Congrats! Big Grin

Quote:For the next level of mobility, go for a pad but they are still on duo core, so worth waiting till quad.

Latest Pads, Tab 2 7.0 & Tab 2 10.1 still uses Dual Core. Tab 2 7.0 is a step backward from Tab Plus 7.0 as it's meant to be their entry level Pad (low cost). I suppose you meant waiting for S3 stocks for Quad Core?

If it's just about Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich), can you do an upgrade to your existing phones. Saw this in US site. Other sites also mentioned upgrades for other non-Samsung Android models like HTC.

Reference : Tab 2 7.0 Review - PC Magazine / PC World