Chow Tai Fock Jewelery (1929)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody looking at this stock? I notice its trading below the IPO Price. Although PE of 33 is higher than Tiffany and Co, their exposure to the booming Asian Market puts them in a good position to profit from the high demand for luxury goods here.
(24-02-2012, 10:54 AM)propertyinvestor Wrote: Anybody looking at this stock? I notice its trading below the IPO Price. Although PE of 33 is higher than Tiffany and Co, their exposure to the booming Asian Market puts them in a good position to profit from the high demand for luxury goods here.

The owners of the business ( Cheng Family) know how to sell at the top end of the market price range and so its better public investors to wait until shortly next reporting period to enter the stock for a short fry.

Market price today ( 19 July 2012) stands around $9.24 - down from $15 level at IPO in Feb.
(20-03-2012, 11:02 PM)soros Wrote:
(24-02-2012, 10:54 AM)propertyinvestor Wrote: Anybody looking at this stock? I notice its trading below the IPO Price. Although PE of 33 is higher than Tiffany and Co, their exposure to the booming Asian Market puts them in a good position to profit from the high demand for luxury goods here.

The owners of the business ( Cheng Family) know how to sell at the top end of the market price range and so its better public investors to wait until shortly next reporting period to enter the stock for a short fry.

Anybody with the surname Cheng knows how to buy low and sell high! Smile
Any one has copy of article that was published in The Time about interview with Mr. Cheng Yu Tung?
New World Development Co. (0017.HK), Chow Tai Fook Jewellery Group Ltd. (1929.HK), New World Department Store China (0825.HK), NWS Holdings (0659.HK)

This Harvard Grad Is Heir to the World's Largest Jewelry Empire

One of Hong Kong’s four richest dynasties is preparing for a leadership transition that may test the adage that family fortunes don’t last beyond three generations.

Adrian Cheng, the Harvard-educated heir apparent of New World Development Co. and Chow Tai Fook Jewellery Group Ltd., is in focus after his 69-year-old father, Henry, recently went on leave because of an unspecified illness. The companies declined to comment on media reports that the senior Cheng had a stroke.

When the 36-year-old scion ultimately takes over from his father, he will be in charge of a conglomerate that controls one of the city’s biggest property developers, runs the Carlyle Hotel in New York City and operates a chain of jewelry stores that generates about 80 percent more revenue than Tiffany & Co. globally. Today, the family controls four listed companies with a total market value of more than $25 billion, as well as some that are closely held.

More details in https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/...-next-king
Specuvestor: Asset - Business - Structure.
Chow Tai Fook Adds Australia Power Firm to Property, Jewelry

Chow Tai Fook Enterprises Ltd., the Hong Kong conglomerate known for its chain of jewelry shops across China, agreed to acquire Alinta Energy Holdings Ltd. in a multi-billion dollar deal that marks the family-owned group’s foray into Australian utilities.

The companies announced the transaction in separate statements on Thursday, without disclosing financial details. Chow Tai Fook agreed to pay investors including buyout firm TPG Capital more than A$4 billion ($3.1 billion), people with knowledge of the matter said, asking not to be identified because the details are private. Alinta’s assets span nationwide energy retailing through power generation for industrial customers.

The transaction is Chow Tai Fook’s most ambitious overseas expansion in recent years and comes at a pivotal moment for the conglomerate as it undergoes a leadership transition. The Cheng family heads a group that includes four listed units with a combined market of more than $25 billion. Among those are New World Development Co., one of Hong Kong’s largest property developers, and Chow Tai Fook Jewellery Group Ltd., whose chain of luxury stores generates more revenue than Tiffany & Co.

More details in https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/...-4-billion
Specuvestor: Asset - Business - Structure.
Hong Kong-listed jewellery chain reports interim operating profit surged 24.7 per cent to HK$2.989 billion (US$382.09 million) for the six months ended September 30

Unveils plans to further expand in the mainland by opening shops in lower tier cities under franchised model

https://beta.scmp.com/business/companies...-half-year

During a recent visit to cities in the Pearl River Delta region (HK, SZ, GZ, Macau), I noticed that the stores of jewellers -- Chow Tai Fook, Chow Sang Sang, Luk Fook -- were completely devoid of any customers. And this was the case regardless of the location of the store, the day of the week, or the time of the day. I have read many stories of mainland consumers being strong supporters of the luxury retail market in PRD cities, but it seems the situation may be changing.

It seems likely that a prolonged trade war will adversely affect consumption patterns in China.
(30-12-2018, 11:41 AM)karlmarx Wrote: Hong Kong-listed jewellery chain reports interim operating profit surged 24.7 per cent to HK$2.989 billion (US$382.09 million) for the six months ended September 30

Unveils plans to further expand in the mainland by opening shops in lower tier cities under franchised model

https://beta.scmp.com/business/companies...-half-year

During a recent visit to cities in the Pearl River Delta region (HK, SZ, GZ, Macau), I noticed that the stores of jewellers -- Chow Tai Fook, Chow Sang Sang, Luk Fook -- were completely devoid of any customers. And this was the case regardless of the location of the store, the day of the week, or the time of the day. I have read many stories of mainland consumers being strong supporters of the luxury retail market in PRD cities, but it seems the situation may be changing.

It seems likely that a prolonged trade war will adversely affect consumption patterns in China.

I had customers very much engaged in the airport businesses and they were telling me sales are dropping even for the core items such as liquor and cosmetic. I guess things are really not well in China. Unfortunately, most people outside of China don't really have much of any deep insights or numbers to crunch.
Reported in SCMP on 30 Nov 2018 :

"Chow Tai Fook Jewellery, the world’s largest listed jeweller by market value, said on Thursday that it plans to open 400 new shops in the fiscal year beginning in April this year, with an emphasis on capturing the market potential in secondary cities in China.

While the group foresees a sales slowdown in the remaining months of the current financial year which ends in March, they hope to drive sales through a multi-brand strategy and innovative retail experience.

The company reported operating profit surged 24.7 per cent to HK$2.989 billion (US$382.09 million) for the six months ended September 30.

Earnings per share amounted to 19 HK cents, while the jewellery chain will pay an interim dividend of 15 HK cents per share."

My view : It has reported interim earnings of 19 cents and forsees a sales slowdown . I will slowdown and I can forget this one.