The best investment books?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which investment book has helped you the most?

1 Intelligent Investor?
2 Essays of W.B.? [a compilation of his letters to B.H. shareholders]
3 Common Stock, Uncommon Profit?
4 One Up On Wall Street?
5 Security Analysis
6 Random Walk Down Wall Street?
7 Winning the Loser's Game?
Or others?

For me, I am strongly influenced by 1, 2, 6 & 7. How about you?
(03-01-2012, 12:28 PM)Mr Nobody Wrote: Which investment book has helped you the most?

1 Intelligent Investor?
4 One Up On Wall Street?
5 Security Analysis
Or others?

For myself, (1) has the strongest influence, followed by (3).

I have read and browsed (5) and it's good but rather technical. I have also read (4) and (6) for information.

Another very useful source are books on Behavioural Finance and Prospect Theory. "Your Money and Your Brain" by Jason Zweig. Currently, I am reading "Investing and the Irrational Mind” by Robert Koppel.

Another book which had a +ve effect - Mark Tier's Winning Investment Habits of Buffett and Soros.
My Value Investing Blog: http://sgmusicwhiz.blogspot.com/
Of course I have benefitted from readings books like the ones above (I only read 3 of them).

I think the best investment book is the one that's written by you. No?

Who best understand your weaknesses, strenghts, temperaments, motivations, etc?

You trust your own "feet" or trust someone to give you advice what shoes to wear?

http://singaporemanofleisure.blogspot.co...-soft.html
Just google singapore man of leisure
I like No.5 "Security Analysis" the most. Read 1st edition twice, 2nd edition once. Took about half year to read a whole book each. I also like Buffetology and The New Buffetology, Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham and Jason Zweig. Those books -- especially "security analysis" gave bad influence on me, become a kiasu, kiasi and tend to be contrarian. Beware.
Specuvestor: Asset - Business - Structure.
(03-01-2012, 12:28 PM)Mr Nobody Wrote: Which investment book has helped you the most?

1 Intelligent Investor?
4 One Up On Wall Street?
5 Security Analysis
Or others?

Wow, 1 & 5 seem to be at odds with 6. I'm wondering how to you gel the influence of both of them?

I personally like 1 (only read the ver with commentary by Jason Zweig which I feel is useful for interpreting a book that was written in the 70s), 3, 4. Will be getting my hands dirty with 5 soon.

Also like Poor Charlie's Almanack, F Wall St, Cialdini's influence.

Web Resources: Joshua Kennon's writings on his personal blog and his content at About.com's Beginner's Investing site.
I like No. 5. If got time, I intend to read it a few more times. it offers great insight about investment.
A few days ago, I have posted a review on investment books that have benefited me on my blog. It is just a rather simple review of each book.

http://sgyounginvestor.blogspot.com/
(03-01-2012, 12:45 PM)Musicwhiz Wrote: Another book which had a +ve effect - Mark Tier's Winning Investment Habits of Buffett and Soros.

I just have to give credit to this book again! The appendix of this book gives recommendations of other great books one can read as well, and some of them are in the list in the starting thread (book 1,3,5,6)

1 Intelligent Investor?
4 One Up On Wall Street?
5 Security Analysis
Or others?

I must be one of the rare few who's deeply influenced by No.4. I don't find the other books by Peter Lynch as useful though.

No.3 is good but for now, I find it hard to practise due to personal contraints (don't have luxury of freedom to meet people to ferret out useful info).

No.1 taught me to be KS (kiasu and kiasi), which for me means, protecting my Capital as the first priority although I am still proned to take the occasional gamble for bigger returns.

No.5, I have yet to finish reading the book as it's too technical for me to grasp.

No.2, yet to read as the stuff that are useful to me are scattered all over. Instead, I have read Warren Buffett books written by various authors, as there're a lot of investment wisdoms to be learnt. If you are a Warren Buffett fan, try the books by Robert G. Hagstrom. I have read 'The Warren Buffett Way' and 'The Essential Buffett'. Both have similar contents and reading either one should be good enough.
Luck & Fortune Favours those who are Prepared & Decisive when Opportunity Knocks
------------ 知己知彼 ,百战不殆 ;不知彼 ,不知己 ,每战必殆 ------------
In my opinion after these few books probably there aren't any more books you can read. The rest mostly just repeat themselves. This value investing is just simply boring, and the differentiator is mainly depends on the person characteristics. Many may just simply don't listen, don't believe, or don't have the patience. Well good news to us.

I read 1 to 6 except no 5. Too thick and too dry like a textbook. I think it will put me into sleep in no time.