Ideal home is not an entitlement

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another point of view on the raging housing debate!

Jun 19, 2011
your letters
Ideal home is not an entitlement

I refer to writer Gladys Chung's commentary last Sunday ('We want a flat in a convenient location...') on young couples' 'housing woes' - or rather, housing demands.

I am incredulous at the way she and the younger generation think.

The writer is in effect saying that she must have her flat in a location of her choice and it must come at a price that is to her liking!

The younger generation, having grown up in blissful comfort, now demand not just branded clothes and electronic goods from their parents, but have also extended their sense of entitlement to housing and transport.

Places such as Toa Payoh and Bishan are expensive because of the demand. If Ms Chung wants a property in these places, she must accept that it will come at a premium price.

People like her have forgotten that home ownership is not a norm in other countries. It is the norm in Singapore because we have been fortunate.

It is extremely worrying that Singaporeans are now so comfortable that many take home ownership as a God-given right, and demand that their homes be in places they want, and not in 'outlying' estates such as Sengkang or Punggol.

And the homes must be cheap to boot, since these young people do not want to be 'shackled to an exorbitant housing loan for 30 years'.

It is a fact of life that if one wants to live in a place that is popular, then one pays a higher price. It is not anyone's fault - and certainly not the Government's - that these basic real-estate pricing principles apply.

Should the Government make sure that people get their dream cars as well?

The fact is, the prices of flats are affordable in Singapore. In order to purchase these, the strategy is to save money. A 30-year mortgage is not unusual. The key is to ensure that one is comfortable meeting the monthly payments.

Do away with the branded clothes and the expensive iPhones and annual holidays (which, like home ownership, are now seen as essentials). That was how it was done in the past, so why should it be any different now?

The writer mentioned the thought of leaving Singapore - 'since we could not afford to buy a home here in a location we loved, we thought we might as well delay our plans to have a baby right after marriage, relocate somewhere with more exciting opportunities and pay rent'.

My guess is she will not get her way in other countries either. She might get her cheap house, but it will be far away from her parents.

Property prices in New York and Sydney are probably also very high. Which brings me to my point: No one owes the younger generation a living. The sooner they realise that, the sooner this sense of entitlement is replaced by reality.

Robin Low

My Value Investing Blog: http://sgmusicwhiz.blogspot.com/
I dont think this is a issue of young or old generation..........

more like a disconnect with reality for these ppl........
(19-06-2011, 11:43 AM)newborn1000 Wrote: I dont think this is a issue of young or old generation..........

more like a disconnect with reality for these ppl........

$880,000 DBSS flat is also a disconnect with reality !!!

Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Is million dollars salary a norm for politicians in other countires ?
(19-06-2011, 06:51 AM)Musicwhiz Wrote: I am incredulous at the way she and the younger generation think.

Which brings me to my point: No one owes the younger generation a living. The sooner they realise that, the sooner this sense of entitlement is replaced by reality.

I'm incredulous at this guy's sweeping assumption that all young people are like Gladys Chung.

I personally fall into the Gen Y group (late 20s) and I don't see many of my peers having this sense of entitlement that he speaks of.

Also, it's human nature to take the path of less resistance- just ask those pension holders in Greece how they like their austerity measures (and those folks who qualify for pensions can't be young)- so talk about a sense of entitlement!

It really irks me when letter writers like him write in due to a knee-jerk reaction and start to condemn whole segments of the population just because they feel like it.
(19-06-2011, 09:18 PM)kazukirai Wrote: Also, it's human nature to take the path of less resistance- just ask those pension holders in Greece how they like their austerity measures (and those folks who qualify for pensions can't be young)- so talk about a sense of entitlement!

It really irks me when letter writers like him write in due to a knee-jerk reaction and start to condemn whole segments of the population just because they feel like it.

Well the Greek pensioners were young once. They did not end up with this sense of entitlement overnight. It is the duty of the elderly to highlight the danger if they think that the young are going astray. You may not like his tone, but can you fault his logic? How many of such cases do we need before sounding the alarm?

That said, I have not read Ms Gladys Chung's letter in full, so I wonder if she has been quoted out of context ( a common habit of singaporeans under the current political mood ).

The older Singaporean generation had it better when it comes to having affordable roof over their heads. I belonged to the luckier group of Singaporeans who bought HDB flats before they reached the ridiculous levels of today. It was sheer luck, not ability or hard work, that I managed to buy at a more affordable price. Just happened to find the right woman early and got married young.

I have heard plenty of complaints from my younger colleagues who just happened to be unlucky enough to be born late. It is true that some unlucky people have a bad habit of complaining non-stop. However, the lucky has no right to say that the unlucky has a sense of entitlement which seems to imply that they are not willing to sweat for what they want. If there were a role switch, would the writer be complaining like the young couples?

Quote:People like her have forgotten that home ownership is not a norm in other countries. It is the norm in Singapore because we have been fortunate.

This is exactly the reason why younger couples in Singapore are complaining. If everyone else is not owning homes, there is little need to feel jealous. If people who can enjoy affordable housing happen to do so simply because they were born a few years earlier, then it is hard for those who were born slightly later not to feel resentful. Does being born early make one more deserving of a cheaper home?
------------------------------------
Trust yourself only with your money
(19-06-2011, 10:41 PM)hyom Wrote: The older Singaporean generation had it better when it comes to having affordable roof over their heads. I belonged to the luckier group of Singaporeans who bought HDB flats before they reached the ridiculous levels of today. It was sheer luck, not ability or hard work, that I managed to buy at a more affordable price. Just happened to find the right woman early and got married young.

I have heard plenty of complaints from my younger colleagues who just happened to be unlucky enough to be born late. It is true that some unlucky people have a bad habit of complaining non-stop. However, the lucky has no right to say that the unlucky has a sense of entitlement which seems to imply that they are not willing to sweat for what they want. If there were a role switch, would the writer be complaining like the young couples?

Quote:People like her have forgotten that home ownership is not a norm in other countries. It is the norm in Singapore because we have been fortunate.

This is exactly the reason why younger couples in Singapore are complaining. If everyone else is not owning homes, there is little need to feel jealous. If people who can enjoy affordable housing happen to do so simply because they were born a few years earlier, then it is hard for those who were born slightly later not to feel resentful. Does being born early make one more deserving of a cheaper home?

But Gladys Chung is not merely complaining about not having a roof over her head. She appeared to be demanding for a location of her choice. By condoning such attitude what kind of society will we become? While you might sound magnanimous, I don't think your reply is going to help the younger people.

By the way, I belong to the super unlucky group -- overage bachelor. Cannot buy when HDB flats are more affordable because I did not fulfil my national duty of marriage and procreation.Big Grin. But still I think gahmen should do all that is within their means to help the young set up home, otherwise the Singapore tribe will be extinct someday. But if Gladys Chung's attitude is prevalent among the young, then I can only say good luck to Khaw Boon Wan.
Quote:But Gladys Chung is not merely complaining about not having a roof over her head. She appeared to be demanding for a location of her choice. By condoning such attitude what kind of society will we become?

I should have read the original letter from Gladys to make a better judgment.

Quote:While you might sound magnanimous, I don't think your reply is going to help the younger people.
The only way to help them is more money and such magnanimity can only come from parents. No strangers will have the magnanimity to help other strangers when it comes to money. Sorry to have given the wrong impression. I am not magnanimous and I just felt that the luckier group should not rub it in when the unlucky cow-beh-cow-bu. It reminds me of a man who complained about his dismal job prospects and got a "get out of my elite, uncaring face" reply from a girl lucky enough to be born in a well-to-do family.

Quote:I belong to the super unlucky group -- overage bachelor. Cannot buy when HDB flats are more affordable because I did not fulfil my national duty of marriage and procreation.

It is better not to marry at all than to marry the wrong one. Like value investors, I am sure your patience will pay off. Best of luckSmile

------------------------------------
Trust yourself only with your money
(19-06-2011, 10:01 PM)touzi Wrote: It is the duty of the elderly to highlight the danger if they think that the young are going astray. You may not like his tone, but can you fault his logic? How many of such cases do we need before sounding the alarm?

Hi touzi-san,

No doubt the young will benefit from the experience of those that have come before us but I think it's inane to think that all young people are like this Gladys Chung. I personally know of many young people who aren't like that so that in itself turns his assertions on its head which brings me to my point that I think the younger generation, generally, should be given some credit that they won't turn out as selfish as Gladys Chung.

Also agree with hyom-san, better to marry the right person than get married at all which is probably the most difficult decision in ours lives. With stocks, cut-loss also not so painful.