Yogababble

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yogababble, as defined by Prof Scott Galloway: "fluffy, blurry, audacious language that offers some vague overpromise that leaves you understanding even less about what the company actually does"

https://www.fool.com/investing/2021/06/2...ogababble/

[Image: B7jHpjM.png]

In my short investing experience, one local company gave me pause (which played a part in my decision of divesting in 2016), was Silverlake Axis: http://www.silverlakeaxis.com/about/our-people

Quote:As I predicted, a structured mathematical approach is necessary to prepare us for this Fintech journey. It does not matter how powerful an enterprise is, and we have witnessed the decline of several major corporations due to their non-compliance with what mathematicians call ‘sigma transformation’. I have highlighted that the so called core is actually mathematically Group Theory, which is powered by ‘sigma transformation’. While mathematically established, its effects are not often recognized by most laymen. Fortunately, Silverlake employees have learned this phenomenon through their day to day experiences, resulting in something known as our ‘collective intelligence’. Much like how we learn to cycle without thinking about Newton’s Laws of Motion, Silverlake has used this theory to lay the foundation for our customers to meet and overcome today’s Fintech challenges.

Mathematically, Group Theory will move on to Category Theory and C-Set. From my insight, these mathematics frame the laws of nature. It was in the midst of this technological and economic change that Silverlake Axis embarked on some key investments, starting with GIT, Merimen Group, Cyber Village, Finzsoft Solutions and Symmetri Group to name a few. Our acquired subsidiaries and associates are important components to this transformation.

Not accusing Mr Goh for Yogababble per se (could just be my lack of knowledge in his field of mathematics); nor feel that this alone, should necessarily disqualify Silverlake Axis as a viable investment. It's ok to bring in ideas and concepts (even jargons) from another field for an analogy, but only when it's relatively self-explanatory, and does more to enlighten than to obfuscate. I don't think he succeeded here. In the end, I felt concerned about his ability to identify potential knowledge asymmetry (between him and his audience), which may affect his ability to communicate his ideas and vision to employees and business partners clearly.

Is Yogababble (or conversely, succinct and candid management communications) a factor for your investment decisions?
“If you buy a business just because it’s undervalued, then you have to worry about selling it when it reaches its intrinsic value. That’s hard. But if you can buy a few great companies, then you can sit on your ass. That’s a good thing.” - Charlie Munger