Best way to accumulate US & HK stk for the long run

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi gurus,
any recommendations on which platform to use for accumulation
of US & HK stk for the long term? peferrable low cost & reliable platforms.

thanks in advance
Would Interactive Brokers give you a good package for the long run? I dare say I have not tried this online trading platform for myself.
(14-01-2016, 08:09 AM)tikam tikam Wrote: Would Interactive Brokers give you a good package for the long run? I dare say I have not tried this online trading platform for myself.

I have used Interactive Brokers a few years now and a happy customer. Their fees are very low, which is important for a long term investing plan, because the savings you make on fees have a chance to compound while invested in shares.

A few notes though:
- If your paid commission is below $10 USD in a certain month, you get charged $10 USD anyways. Basically a non-activity fee, but there are no 'line costs' or 'holding costs' of any type.
- Singapore residents (or citizens or both, not sure) can not invest in the Singapore market.
- Their software platform is quite complicated and will take a while to master.
- Helpdesk is very basic. No hand holding, Interactive Brokers is really for the investor who has enough time and initiative to figure all their possibilities out. There are many documents, webseminars, etc.
- They offer access to many markets, but not Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia and a few others that may have your interest. I use Phillip Capital to fill some gaps.
thanks for the info Smile
Can you really win by directly investing in HK and US shares when you are living in Singapore ?

Is it easier to choose a unit trust invested in those markets from a fund manager based in Singapore or invest in a fund sold by a Sing Bank ?
(15-01-2016, 11:14 PM)soros Wrote: Can you really win by directly investing in HK and US shares when you are living in Singapore ?

You seem to suggest that the physical distance to these places is a limiting factor. Could you be more specific why that is the case?

Do you visit the AGM's and EGM's of your invested companies perhaps? I don't think many fund managers do that actually.
I live in Hong Kong where we have 5 daily newspapers reporting HK & China stock market news plus 2-3 TV channels reporting prices movements during trading hours , many brokers offices and bank branches where investors can go during trading hours to get actual trading prices ( Not 15 mins delayed prices ) etc but majority of public investors still lose money. I don't think attending AGM or EGM is any guarantee of success in share investment.
I have heard that some HK housewives can buy in the morning and sell in afternoon can win some pin money but not the majority of housewives can consistently win. I can see from some company reports that companies buy shares in other listed companies but often do not manage to sell at profit. I also see that sometimes when HK companies arrange rights issues , the shareholders with foreign addresses are not included in the offer due to problems of regulatory compliance.

If local HK investors don't win , what chance does an investor living in Singapore have ?
(18-01-2016, 02:10 AM)soros Wrote: I live in Hong Kong where we have 5 daily newspapers reporting HK & China  stock market news plus  2-3 TV channels reporting prices movements during trading hours , many brokers offices and bank branches where investors can go during trading hours to get actual trading prices ( Not 15 mins delayed prices )  etc but majority of public investors still lose money. I don't think attending AGM or EGM is any guarantee of success in share investment.
I have heard that some HK housewives can buy in the morning and sell in afternoon can win some pin money but not the majority of housewives can consistently win. I can see from some company reports that companies buy shares in other listed companies but often do not manage to sell at profit. I also see that sometimes when HK companies arrange rights issues , the shareholders with foreign addresses are not included in the offer due to problems of regulatory compliance.

If local HK investors don't win , what chance does an investor living in Singapore have ?

IMO, there should be many non-HK investors are winning in HK market. The key to win, isn't on info accessed and nationalities, but on attitude.

Yeoman Cap, a Singapore-based fund, has 40% allocation in HK, and it has win, with CAGR of 13% over more than 17 years.
http://yeomancapitalmanagement.com/wp-co...r-3Q15.pdf
“夏则资皮,冬则资纱,旱则资船,水则资车” - 范蠡
I use POEMS to buy HK stocks. Their charge is about average compared to other spore brokers.

But the advantage is their integrated platform, so that you can buy stocks many markets (spore, china, hk, indo, us, thailand, uk). Heard can buy in Aussie, Korea, Japan and Germany market too (but i never did).

I use it to build diversified portfolio across different markets, esp when stocks in a single market is getting much more expensive vs other countries .

Right now HK market seems cheap to me, so focus there. But several times in the past few years, stocks in HK did rally, and I used the opportunities to switch to cheaper stocks in other market. 

Sometimes the same company listed in Shanghai also trades at discount compared to HK listed (there were some last year, like banking stocks), so might be a good idea to purchase A-share compared to H-share.
www.aastocks.com.hk has one of the best app or online websites. Very informative on FA, and the latest news on the company.

Yes poems is good. And local brokers is safer, they have own desk or reliable counter-party brokers to hold the shares.

If u trade X times in 3 mths, for HKSE stocks, I think there is waiver on custodian charges.

Charges are not everything. IMHO, u get what u pay for.