Any case studies of "bear defying" companies?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi buddies,

Fr those who have invested through multiple cycles, e.g. Oil shocks AFC. Are there case studies of bear defying companies.

I mean, are there companies

That continue to grow or at least keep ther bottom lines in the 2-3 years of harsh conditions?

Price of counters remain resilenet or even appreciate in such periods?

Or both business and price resilient?

I am not interested in relative defensive, like market fall by 40% but try only fall 20%. I am talking about the opposite, the company actually performed better either in terms of bottom line profits or shares price performance.

I am thinking about companies, not different assets groups like gold or commodity.
Wil be grateful If buddies can point me to example if any.
life goes in cycles, predictable yet uncontrollable; just like the markets, but markets give you a second chance
(11-05-2014, 01:15 PM)Greenrookie Wrote: Hi buddies,

Fr those who have invested through multiple cycles, e.g. Oil shocks AFC. Are there case studies of bear defying companies.

I mean, are there companies

That continue to grow or at least keep ther bottom lines in the 2-3 years of harsh conditions?

Price of counters remain resilenet or even appreciate in such periods?

Or both business and price resilient?

I am not interested in relative defensive, like market fall by 40% but try only fall 20%. I am talking about the opposite, the company actually performed better either in terms of bottom line profits or shares price performance.

I am thinking about companies, not different assets groups like gold or commodity.
Wil be grateful If buddies can point me to example if any.

Good question

perhaps blue chips would be a good place to start looking for these case study
Have you seen any apples that when thrown up never comes down?
Shangri la don't exist..... if it does, it will be the only stock that all people own.
All the upside without the downside. Who won't want to own it?
Actually hoh, "bear defying" companies are those that will surely bounce back 2x, 3x, 4x or even more.
If only i know which are the ones and how long they take to 2x, 3x, 4x.....
WB:-

1) Rule # 1, do not lose money.
2) Rule # 2, refer to # 1.
3) Not until you can manage your emotions, you can manage your money.

Truism of Investments.
A) Buying a security is buying RISK not Return
B) You can control RISK (to a certain level, hopefully only.) But definitely not the outcome of the Return.

NB:-
My signature is meant for psychoing myself. No offence to anyone. i am trying not to lose money unnecessary anymore.
The most amazing company so far is General Electric. It is the only surviving company since the creation of Dow Jones Industrial Index in 1896 although it was out from the index in ~1900 for a few years.

Procter & Gamble Company, Honeywell, AT&T, Du Pont and General Motors are also pretty amazing too.

Bear in mind the above companies went through 2nd world war and whatever wars,1929 great depression and many crashes along the way.

For some of them, they went through 1st world war too.

For those that are interested on the companies that are ever in the index till 2003.
http://www.quasimodos.com/info/dowhistory.html

The key characteristic in the group seems to be technology.

One of the evergreen that failed along the way is Kodak Eastman because of their refusal to adopt new technology.
By your definition of stock going up in 2008 crisis. Unless manipulated or buyout, you hardly can find any. Even if there is one, the next crisis may not be it.

Try fixed deposits! Haha

Just my Diary
corylogics.blogspot.com/

(12-05-2014, 10:06 AM)yeokiwi Wrote: The most amazing company so far is General Electric. It is the only surviving company since the creation of Dow Jones Industrial Index in 1896 although it was out from the index in ~1900 for a few years.

Procter & Gamble Company, Honeywell, AT&T, Du Pont and General Motors are also pretty amazing too.

Bear in mind the above companies went through 2nd world war and whatever wars,1929 great depression and many crashes along the way.

For those that are interested on the companies that are ever in the index till 2003.

One of the evergreen that failed along the way is Kodak Eastman because of their refusal to adopt new technology.
Yeah! Really, how many companies still around after 100 years? Is there any in our Singapore history? In HK history?
WB:-

1) Rule # 1, do not lose money.
2) Rule # 2, refer to # 1.
3) Not until you can manage your emotions, you can manage your money.

Truism of Investments.
A) Buying a security is buying RISK not Return
B) You can control RISK (to a certain level, hopefully only.) But definitely not the outcome of the Return.

NB:-
My signature is meant for psychoing myself. No offence to anyone. i am trying not to lose money unnecessary anymore.
rubber stamp companies generally are high profit year round even in bearish time people still need to do it.

sgx - clearing house
vicom - car inspection

I remember there's 1 or 2 more "rubber stamp" listed but can't remember the name
my bear defying companies would be exxonMobil colgate palmotive gen mills procter & gamble, coca cola.
(12-05-2014, 10:21 AM)Temperament Wrote:
(12-05-2014, 10:06 AM)yeokiwi Wrote: The most amazing company so far is General Electric. It is the only surviving company since the creation of Dow Jones Industrial Index in 1896 although it was out from the index in ~1900 for a few years.

Yeah! Really, how many companies still around after 100 years? Is there any in our Singapore history? In HK history?

F&N? Base on the company website, started in year 1883, more than a century ago...

http://fraserandneave.com/FN_aboutus.asp
“夏则资皮,冬则资纱,旱则资船,水则资车” - 范蠡