“夏则资皮,冬则资纱,旱则资船,水则资车” - 范蠡

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
(09-02-2014, 09:17 PM)CityFarmer Wrote:
(09-02-2014, 04:19 PM)AlphaQuant Wrote:
(09-02-2014, 03:05 PM)kevinvest8 Wrote: I'd like to ask around if there is any particular section in this great forum that discusses analysis of annual report / financial performance of a particular company?

Posts in the forum tend to be rather short (which is normal) since they tend to be replies. I guess what you are looking for examples of how people dissect AR to find value. If so, there are 2 decent blogs with good detailed analysis/sleuthwork:

http://sgyounginvestor.blogspot.sg/
http://sgmusicwhiz.blogspot.sg/

(PS: I don't own these blogs)

i think there are prob ard 10 detailed case-studies. After going thru these, you should be able to understand the different sections of the AR (income statement, balance sheets, cashflows, segmental info, accounting, share options etc.) You can then start to take any AR for any company you are interested in and start dissecting it to bits.

This is likely the best suggestion to the request. Both blogs gave quality analysis base on companies financial reports, thus a good source for learning. Coincidentally, both blog owners are our forum buddies.

(PS: In case you misunderstood, I don't own these blogs too)

Thanks CityFarmer. And thanks to all who replied to give ideas.

Btw, I like your Chinese quote - Concise description of the Contrarian thinking.
(09-02-2014, 10:03 PM)kevinvest8 Wrote:
(09-02-2014, 03:05 PM)kevinvest8 Wrote: I'd like to ask around if there is any particular section in this great forum that discusses analysis of annual report / financial performance of a particular company?

Posts in the forum tend to be rather short (which is normal) since they tend to be replies. I guess what you are looking for examples of how people dissect AR to find value. If so, there are 2 decent blogs with good detailed analysis/sleuthwork:

i think there are prob ard 10 detailed case-studies. After going thru these, you should be able to understand the different sections of the AR (income statement, balance sheets, cashflows, segmental info, accounting, share options etc.) You can then start to take any AR for any company you are interested in and start dissecting it to bits.

This is likely the best suggestion to the request. Both blogs gave quality analysis base on companies financial reports, thus a good source for learning. Coincidentally, both blog owners are our forum buddies.

Btw, I like your Chinese quote - Concise description of the Contrarian thinking.

We should thank AlphaQuant for his suggestion.

For the quote, it is from the "God" of Chinese businessmen. He was the "Warren Buffett" 2500 years ago in ancient China, who had a very similar "investing" concepts as advocated by Warren Buffett.
(10-02-2014, 09:53 AM)CityFarmer Wrote:
(09-02-2014, 10:03 PM)kevinvest8 Wrote:

We should thank AlphaQuant for his suggestion.

For the quote, it is from the "God" of Chinese businessmen. He was the "Warren Buffett" 2500 years ago in ancient China, who had a very similar "investing" concepts as advocated by Warren Buffett.

Out of point here, but cannot help myself范蠡has a very famous wife 西施too. He is shrew not only in the business arena, but also in the political arena. He knows how to quit when he is at the top of his game, others who did not got killed.
life goes in cycles, predictable yet uncontrollable; just like the markets, but markets give you a second chance
(10-02-2014, 11:33 AM)Greenrookie Wrote:
(10-02-2014, 09:53 AM)CityFarmer Wrote: We should thank AlphaQuant for his suggestion.

Out of point here, but cannot help myself范蠡has a very famous wife 西施too. He is shrew not only in the business arena, but also in the political arena. He knows how to quit when he is at the top of his game, others who did not got killed.

IMO, few similarity among Warren Buffett and 范蠡
- They are not obsess on wealth itself, but very skillful in earning it.
- They had the spirit of sharing their wealth
- They fully understood the merit of "win-win" strategy in their business ventures.
- They are all very patient persons for opportunities.

But I am not so sure on the "西施" story, well-known in drama series, but not so in formal history records.

Sharing my view with buddies. Pardon for a slight OT. Will stop here.
Sorry OT, for future reference :

当某些商品价格涨得很高的时候,要象对待粪土一样毫不吝惜地卖掉,当某些商品价格跌得很多的时候,要看作象宝珠一样大胆地买入持有。
Dāng mǒu xiē shāngpǐn jiàgé zhǎng de hěn gāo de shíhou, yào xiàng duìdài fèntǔ yīyàng háo bù lìnxī de mài diào, dāng mǒu xiē shāngpǐn jiàgé diē de hěnduō de shíhou, yào kàn zuò xiàng bǎozhū yīyàng dàdǎn de mǎi rù chí yǒu.

夏日炎炎时就要准备冬季的商品,冰天雪地时就要准备署季的商品。大旱来临要考虑可能发生水灾准备船只,水灾季节要买入车辆防备旱灾将要出现。
Xià rì yányán shí jiù yào zhǔnbèi dōngjì de shāngpǐn, bīngtiānxuědì shí jiù yào zhǔnbèi shǔ jì de shāngpǐn. Dà hàn láilín yào kǎolǜ kěnéng fāshēng shuǐzāi zhǔnbèi chuánzhī, shuǐzāi jìjié yāo mǎi rù chēliàng fángbèi hànzāi jiāngyào chūxiàn.

http://blog.eastmoney.com/fu10xing/blog_120707016.html
Specuvestor: Asset - Business - Structure.
(10-02-2014, 11:55 AM)cyclone Wrote: Sorry OT, for future reference :

当某些商品价格涨得很高的时候,要象对待粪土一样毫不吝惜地卖掉,当某些商品价格跌得很多的时候,要看作象宝珠一样大胆地买入持有。
Dāng mǒu xiē shāngpǐn jiàgé zhǎng de hěn gāo de shíhou, yào xiàng duìdài fèntǔ yīyàng háo bù lìnxī de mài diào, dāng mǒu xiē shāngpǐn jiàgé diē de hěnduō de shíhou, yào kàn zuò xiàng bǎozhū yīyàng dàdǎn de mǎi rù chí yǒu.

The original text was “贵出如粪土,贱入如珠玑”

(10-02-2014, 11:55 AM)cyclone Wrote: 夏日炎炎时就要准备冬季的商品,冰天雪地时就要准备署季的商品。大旱来临要考虑可能发生水灾准备船只,水灾季节要买入车辆防备旱灾将要出现。
Xià rì yányán shí jiù yào zhǔnbèi dōngjì de shāngpǐn, bīngtiānxuědì shí jiù yào zhǔnbèi shǔ jì de shāngpǐn. Dà hàn láilín yào kǎolǜ kěnéng fāshēng shuǐzāi zhǔnbèi chuánzhī, shuǐzāi jìjié yāo mǎi rù chēliàng fángbèi hànzāi jiāngyào chūxiàn.

http://blog.eastmoney.com/fu10xing/blog_120707016.html

The original text was “夏则资皮,冬则资纱,旱则资船,水则资车”

One more was "“得时无怠,时不再来,天予不取,反为之灾”
Hi CityFarmer,

I do not understand the last one, Google translate does not help either. Please kindly explain. Thanks.
得时无怠, if you get an opportunity, don't be lazy
时不再来, the opportunity may not come again
天予不取, if heaven give you the chance and you don't take it
反为之灾 you might be punished for it.
(10-02-2014, 07:25 PM)AlphaQuant Wrote: 得时无怠, if you get an opportunity, don't be lazy
时不再来, the opportunity may not come again
天予不取, if heaven give you the chance and you don't take it
反为之灾 you might be punished for it.

Exactly. Thanks AlphaQuant. You can definitely translate more accurately than mine. Big Grin
Thanks CityFarmer and AlphaQuant.