We should stick to low-risk investments

Poll: Do you agree?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
75.00%
9 75.00%
No
16.67%
2 16.67%
Undecided
8.33%
1 8.33%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Low risk investments are boring, slow to watch and will never get you rich. True story. But low-risk investments could be just the magic bullet that many of us need.

With $100,000 (that's alot money for most of us), guess how long you take to make you a millionaire? 25 freaking year! And that is assuming a 10% return every single year, something that is very impressive even for top fund manager.

Now, what happens if you start to lose money?

"First of all, imagine I have $100 and I invest in Fund A that returns an average of 5% a year. After three years I might have as much as $115.76. That's just $100 * (1.05)^3. But I might have less. Why? Compounding. Imagine Fund B, which also returns an average of 5% a year. But Fund B takes a wild ride – up 5% in its first year, then up 40%, then down 30%. That's still an average of 5% a year. But at the end of the three years my $100 in Fund B is worth only $102.90. That's a simple effect called “variance drain” (Messmore, Tom, “ Variance Drain,” Journal of Portfolio Management, Summer, 1995). Basically the rate that your money compounds and grows over time is equal to the average return (that 5% in our example) minus half the variance (or variability) in the returns. That variability in returns really impacts your ability to grow wealth over time."

Read http://www.stokflok.com/content/why-does-low-risk-strategy-outperform for full article.

In simple words, compounding makes you richer. The more losses you make, the harder it is for you to retire comfortably.

What do you think about this?
www.stockflock.co
Helping you invest better
You are supposed to save $ monthly on top of your $100k intital capital. To reach $1m faster.
"... but quitting while you're ahead is not the same as quitting." - Quote from the movie American Gangster
Variance drain sounds so chimp. Basically it is that upside and downside returns are asymmetric

A stock lost 50% and gain 50% does not go back to par. That's why absolute return strategy makes sense
Before you speak, listen. Before you write, think. Before you spend, earn. Before you invest, investigate. Before you criticize, wait. Before you pray, forgive. Before you quit, try. Before you retire, save. Before you die, give. –William A. Ward

Think Asset-Business-Structure (ABS)
(06-01-2014, 07:11 PM)specuvestor Wrote: Variance drain sounds so chimp. Basically it is that upside and downside returns are asymmetric

A stock lost 50% and gain 50% does not go back to par. That's why absolute return strategy makes sense
what is absolute return strategy? Huh
Fund B is supposed to return around 5% over long term... yet didn't sell when lucky enough to get 47% over juz two years??? Sell lor, we r not fund manager lah, no need to answer to anyone...
(06-01-2014, 07:27 PM)wahkao Wrote:
(06-01-2014, 07:11 PM)specuvestor Wrote: Variance drain sounds so chimp. Basically it is that upside and downside returns are asymmetric

what is absolute return strategy? Huh
Absolute returns is the real thing to me. Whether it take 3 months or 3 years, or in percentage or ratio terms. i am that simple.
WB:-

1) Rule # 1, do not lose money.
2) Rule # 2, refer to # 1.
3) Not until you can manage your emotions, you can manage your money.

Truism of Investments.
A) Buying a security is buying RISK not Return
B) You can control RISK (to a certain level, hopefully only.) But definitely not the outcome of the Return.

NB:-
My signature is meant for psychoing myself. No offence to anyone. i am trying not to lose money unnecessary anymore.
What it means by variance drain is just a quantitative term of what it means to lose money by taking on high risk.

We love to trade. I am guilty of that too. Making a 100% return in 1 week just sounds so great and it feels even better if you manage to pull it off.

But making a 100% return could easily mean taking on a risk of >50%. In long term, even if you make a 1:1 win/loss trade, you will still not make as much profit as someone who steadily makes a mere 3% per year.

Hence, what the writer really means is that we should just stick to long term trades and let compounding effect take place. It hardly takes into account of stock picking.
www.stockflock.co
Helping you invest better
(06-01-2014, 09:41 PM)arriyana Wrote: What it means by variance drain is just a quantitative term of what it means to lose money by taking on high risk.

We love to trade. I am guilty of that too. Making a 100% return in 1 week just sounds so great and it feels even better if you manage to pull it off.

But making a 100% return could easily mean taking on a risk of >50%. In long term, even if you make a 1:1 win/loss trade, you will still not make as much profit as someone who steadily makes a mere 3% per year.

Hence, what the writer really means is that we should just stick to long term trades and let compounding effect take place. It hardly takes into account of stock picking.
Ha! Ha!
i can't agree more. i am that simple absolute returns is what counts to me no matter how or what you are doing or saying.
WB:-

1) Rule # 1, do not lose money.
2) Rule # 2, refer to # 1.
3) Not until you can manage your emotions, you can manage your money.

Truism of Investments.
A) Buying a security is buying RISK not Return
B) You can control RISK (to a certain level, hopefully only.) But definitely not the outcome of the Return.

NB:-
My signature is meant for psychoing myself. No offence to anyone. i am trying not to lose money unnecessary anymore.
is property considered a low risk investment
(06-01-2014, 07:27 PM)wahkao Wrote: what is absolute return strategy? Huh

Answer:
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/a/absolutereturn.asp

In other words, absolute return in finance jargon = return in simple english.

What then is not absolute return? That will include return measurements against a given benchmark or return volatility:
eg. Relative returns (+/- against benchmark)
eg. Risk adjusted returns (eg. statistical alpha, beta, sharpe ratio)