Why CPF Investors can only attend as observers?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I was searching the web but could not find much answers to my query. What are the reasons that CPF investors can only attend as observers in AGM/EGM without voting rights? Isn't CPF money our own money as well? Why are we been sidelined and could not even ask any questions during AGM/EGM as well?
CPF the whole as a nominee registered in CDP. so no individual invest through CPF can be a direct shareholder of any company traded in SGX.

it would be unfair to other registered shareholders that CPF can have more seats in the AGM. It is one registered shareholder(registered in CDP) at most 2 seats if I am not wrong.
CPF investor is not direct owner of your share, but your share is hold under the nominee of your investment bank. If you want to attend AGM, you need to request your attendance through your bank. I don't think that it is limited to 2 attendees only.
more than 2 can attend, but at most 2 as shareholders, the rest are observers only.
It still did not answer the question. Even though CPF money is invested through the investment agents bank, it is still money that the company can use. Basically, it is part of their equities. If that is the case, why CPF investors are been sidelined? What is the concern that the CPF board has? Investment banks charges CPF investor $2 per stock per quarter but it seems like it is not worth it as CPF investors cannot vote, cannot ask questions. I was wondering if they are even eligible for the free food.

The basic question here is, since CPF is our own money, except that we invest through an investment bank, why are we not eligible for vote or even be a proxy?

(27-09-2012, 03:04 PM)setan Wrote: CPF investor is not direct owner of your share, but your share is hold under the nominee of your investment bank. If you want to attend AGM, you need to request your attendance through your bank. I don't think that it is limited to 2 attendees only.

I know they are not direct owners but why they cannot even attend as proxy, but only as observer?

(27-09-2012, 03:09 PM)freedom Wrote: more than 2 can attend, but at most 2 as shareholders, the rest are observers only.

Is that so? Are you saying that CPF Investors can also attend as shareholders? How to do so? I call my investment banks and they say I can only attend as observer without voting rights.
(27-09-2012, 02:30 PM)Some-one Wrote: I was searching the web but could not find much answers to my query. What are the reasons that CPF investors can only attend as observers in AGM/EGM without voting rights? Isn't CPF money our own money as well? Why are we been sidelined and could not even ask any questions during AGM/EGM as well?

Shares being bought using CPF $$$ is held by the CPF approved nominees(DBS, OCBC, UOB).
The banks are the custodians not CPF.

It is the same as those who trade using standard chartered bank online trading.
http://www.standardchartered.com.sg/pers...n/faq.html

I suppose CPF just used the mechanism that was available when the investment scheme was rolled out years ago.
(27-09-2012, 03:12 PM)Some-one Wrote:
(27-09-2012, 03:09 PM)freedom Wrote: more than 2 can attend, but at most 2 as shareholders, the rest are observers only.

Is that so? Are you saying that CPF Investors can also attend as shareholders? How to do so? I call my investment banks and they say I can only attend as observer without voting rights.

sorry. the 2 can not be reserved for you probably. just imagine how many institution investors are also eying the two proxies.
(27-09-2012, 03:15 PM)yeokiwi Wrote:
(27-09-2012, 02:30 PM)Some-one Wrote: I was searching the web but could not find much answers to my query. What are the reasons that CPF investors can only attend as observers in AGM/EGM without voting rights? Isn't CPF money our own money as well? Why are we been sidelined and could not even ask any questions during AGM/EGM as well?

Shares being bought using CPF $$$ is held by the CPF approved nominees(DBS, OCBC, UOB).

At least if I trade with SCB, I can pay lesser commission charges but if I buy using CPF, I would need to pay $2 per stock per quarter and higher charges as well. Certainly think that it is not worth it to buy stocks using CPF. What would you all think?
(27-09-2012, 03:23 PM)Some-one Wrote:
(27-09-2012, 03:15 PM)yeokiwi Wrote:

At least if I trade with SCB, I can pay lesser commission charges but if I buy using CPF, I would need to pay $2 per stock per quarter and higher charges as well. Certainly think that it is not worth it to buy stocks using CPF. What would you all think?

you can't blame CPF for high charges. CPF can't control how much UOB/DBS/OCBC charge you.
I didn't blame CPF. I am just wondering if it is worth it to invest using CPF with the high charges that investment banks charges.