Interests in investing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I found this interest investing trends from my article Baby Steps into the Investment Universe: Beginners: Part 1 of 3.

It shows that there is more interest in how to invest than what to invest. Does it mean that the people who invest blindly is on a reducing trend?

[Image: Investing-trends.png]
On the comparison of the two, seems like "how to invest" has always been higher than "what to invest". I do not see any unusual break in trend.
“If you buy a business just because it’s undervalued, then you have to worry about selling it when it reaches its intrinsic value. That’s hard. But if you can buy a few great companies, then you can sit on your ass. That’s a good thing.” - Charlie Munger
Personally I encountered more people that ask what to invest than the details of how to invest.

Investing is boring. People rather want a black box quant than a dissertation on value investing. They ask more question / do more research buying a fridge / TV than in investing 10X the amount. Best is can double money in 6-12 months. My own observations only.
Before you speak, listen. Before you write, think. Before you spend, earn. Before you invest, investigate. Before you criticize, wait. Before you pray, forgive. Before you quit, try. Before you retire, save. Before you die, give. –William A. Ward

Think Asset-Business-Structure (ABS)
(26-05-2023, 01:26 PM)specuvestor Wrote: Personally I encountered more people that ask what to invest than the details of how to invest.

Investing is boring. People rather want a black box quant than a dissertation on value investing. They ask more question / do more research buying a fridge / TV than in investing 10X the amount. Best is can double money in 6-12 months. My own observations only.

I similarly encounter most as such. But my guess is that the people who engage such verbal chatter, will never take the next step to do the actual "research" work on how/what. The population of the former should be much larger than the latter.

Personally, investing is boring at most times. Then it gets exciting before becoming boring again. So yes, probably it can be classified as boring. But there needs to be excitement to keep progressing/learning. The last time it was ALWAYS boring, I realized I wasn't improving as an investor.

I do hope that the people who continue to spend more time on researching how to buy a fridge/TV continues to get larger in proportion. Then I would have a chance in a more "inefficient" market...
I tend to look at how to invest from the investing time-frame. I group them into 2 - short term and long term. The real long term are those who investment horizon are in years. This is the "boring" investments. And I the only way to invest (in the context of individual stocks) here is from a fundamental perspective. When it comes to short term, we have the technical traders and those who use "fundamentals" to see what is going to happen over the next few weeks/months. I think a lot of so-called fundamental investors fall into this short-term category. As far as I can see almost all the Malaysian analysts fall into this category.